The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2021 8:32 am  #1

Robby Krieger On Jim Morrison, Light My Fire & That Infamous Arrest

The former Doors guitarist/composer has a new book that, among many other things, traces what really happened on stage that night in Miami. He also reflects on writing Light My Fire and who convinced them to shorten it for release as a single. 

“We knew that “Light My Fire” was our best song,” he says, “because when we would play it like at the Whisky or whatever, people would just go nuts. It was just so much more than any of the other songs. FM radio was just starting at that time.

"There's this guy, Dave Diamond, who was the DJ [at KBLA]. He would call us all the time and say, ‘You know what? When I play “Light My Fire” people just call in and go crazy. It should be a single. You guys should cut it down because to get on the AM radio.’ It had to be like three minutes. They wouldn't play a long song. We knew “Light My Fire” was capable of going all the way.

"Finally, we did cut it down and it did get on the AM radios and that was it, man. It just took off.”

‘He Was So Different From Anybody Else’: Robby Krieger Talks About Jim Morrison And The Doors In His New Memoir

October 27, 2021 12:47 pm  #2

Re: Robby Krieger On Jim Morrison, Light My Fire & That Infamous Arrest

No comment on the story, but congrats on posting the 1,000th topic on the board. And they said it wouldn't last...congrats Lorne.

Last edited by Roman (October 27, 2021 4:31 pm)

October 27, 2021 1:32 pm  #3

First (land last) time I've ever batted "1,000!" Didn't even notice until you pointed it out.

Yes, kudos to Lorne for his hard work. As Kermit The Frog noted, it ain't easy being green. As Lorne The Admin. might say one day, "the same goes for moderating an oldies board!"

Last edited by aflem (October 27, 2021 1:33 pm)

October 28, 2021 8:53 am  #4

As I've mentioned previously, when I set up this board I felt that it was important that we have regular activity here. I had seen the activity level really decline on the previous board, and because I was only able to mention this one a couple of days before the old one was shut down, I figured that many regulars from there didn't know I'd set a new one up. So it's great to see us reach this milestone, given that the board has now been around for just over 1000 days, and that there have also been over 3000 replies to the topics that have been posted here. 

October 28, 2021 3:19 pm  #5

And, once again, IMHO, I greatly appreciate your "pickin' up the slack", Lorne. 

October 28, 2021 8:51 pm  #6

I'll include my salute to Lorne for his good work. As I consider my 79 years on the planet, I'm glad that I have thousands of great musical memories to choose from as I go about each day, and a place where there are others who I can share with.  I also salute "aflem" and his "oldie but goodie" ongoing contributions, we do need a few laughs these days!

Board footera