The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 23, 2021 1:14 pm  #1

"It Should Have Been A Hit" Site Spotlights Songs You Never Heard

I saw this on my local radio board, so my apologies for stealing the idea from them. But if it deserves to be featured anywhere, it's here. Lou Christie, the old 60s hitmaker responsible for songs like Two Faces Have I, Lightning Strikes, Rhapsody In The Rain and my personal favorite, I'm Gonna Make You Mine, has started his own website and podcast. 

It's called "It Should Have Been A Hit," and the title is somewhat self-explanatory. He highlights and plays songs by famous artists that were released as singles, but for some reason never made a dent on the charts. But he feels they didn't get the airplay they deserved and replays those obscure tunes so oldies fans can listen to songs they never got the chance to hear. 

The Top 10 section is particularly interesting to me, with the number one being a Beach Boys tune. (Hard to believe they actually had a stiff, but it apparently happened.) Other artists featured are Lesley Gore, Roy Orbison, The Skyliners, The Moonglows and Christie himself. 

It Should Have Been A Hit

The Top Ten Page

November 24, 2021 9:20 am  #2

Re: "It Should Have Been A Hit" Site Spotlights Songs You Never Heard

I don't know any of the Top 10 songs with the exception of The Beach Boys' It's Okay, a real good version of which they re-recorded for their '76 Rock & Roll Music album.  As far as Beach Boys stiffs go, pretty well every single after Do It Again flopped up until they scored with the title track of the aforementioned album.

November 24, 2021 10:28 am  #3

Great idea, and probably nobody better to do it than Lou Christie.  He has a BUNCH of songs that fit in there.  I'll be interested to learn which ones he thinks should have been hits.

Well, bummer.  I can't access the site.

Last edited by Flo (November 25, 2021 2:42 pm)

November 25, 2021 5:24 pm  #4

I was just talking about Lou Christie exactly a week ago today.  I was having my eyes checked and while she was asking, “is this better or this better”,  politics came up and I mentioned Christie then saying, “Chris not Lou.”  Then I had to explain who Lou Christie was, I had some of his songs on my phone to play bits for her.  Then the optometrist came in and he wasn’t sure he remembered who he was but after bits from a few songs he remembered.

Board footera