The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 13, 2019 8:06 am  #1

Sad news

The local news is reporting Doris Day has died.  She was my all time favorite singer and actress too. 

May 13, 2019 11:39 am  #2

Re: Sad news

I had a crush on Doris Day when I was about 10 years old, and it stayed with me through all the years.  Hit records, movies, TV show, she was a star when being a star really meant something.  Thank you Doris, for the music and he memories.  R.I.P.

May 13, 2019 2:28 pm  #3

I used to love watching all those corny movies where there was a handsome guy who she disliked but then he kept pestering her and she always ended up with him.

May 13, 2019 5:24 pm  #4

It's me Karen wrote:

I used to love watching all those corny movies ...

How about the car in the swimming pool in The Thrill of It All?

That's James Garner driving.

I saw a documentary about Doris Day years ago.  She was originally going to be a dancer but had a leg injury in a car wreck.  If I remember correctly, she was with some other people and they tried to race a train to the crossing and got hit by the train.  

She then took singing lessons.  She told about having to go to an upper floor for the lessons and sitting on the steps, lifting herself step to step with her arms.   Maybe they will air it again.

Last edited by Taz (May 13, 2019 5:24 pm)

May 13, 2019 5:47 pm  #5

I remembered correctly.

I found the book “Doris Day: Her Own Story” on Amazon.  In the description is states, “At thirteen Doris was in a car hit by a train, and for a while she expected to be crippled for life.”

Board footera