The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 9, 2022 5:48 am  #1

sonny curtis cbs sunday morning

being a gopher, it beats me why sonny curtis would be splashing again now. guess i'm about to find out, though. he's supposed to be on "cbs sunday morning" at 9am est. i'm sure it'll be up somewhere on cbs.com, the tube or somewhere, if you missed it.

January 9, 2022 10:58 pm  #2

Re: sonny curtis cbs sunday morning

January 10, 2022 8:55 am  #3

gopher wrote:

being a gopher, it beats me why sonny curtis would be splashing again now 

Not being a gopher, it beats me why anyone would question a decision to interview sonny curtis within a couple weeks of the anniversary of February 2 & 3, 1959

January 10, 2022 10:07 am  #4

I know not everyone here will agree, but to me, Sonny Curtis' "Love Is All Around" (aka the theme from the first season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show) is the best original TV theme song of all time. I didn't care as much for the slower versions that replaced it in subsequent seasons but that tune was one I always looked forward to hearing. 

A limited number of TV themes became huge hits on the charts over the years, with one of the most successful being "Welcome Back" by John Sebastian, which hit #1 on Billboard in 1976. It was such a great song that they actually changed the name of the TV show from just "Kotter" to "Welcome Back Kotter." 

As much as I admit to fast forwarding through most themes from old shows these days, and the TV theme song has become all but a lost art, the MTM opening remains my all time favorite. 

January 10, 2022 10:44 am  #5

aflem wrote:

I know not everyone here will agree, but to me, Sonny Curtis' "Love Is All Around" (aka the theme from the first season of The Mary Tyler Moore Show) is the best original TV theme song of all time. I didn't care as much for the slower versions that replaced it in subsequent seasons but that tune was one I always looked forward to hearing. 

A limited number of TV themes became huge hits on the charts over the years, with one of the most successful being "Welcome Back" by John Sebastian, which hit #1 on Billboard in 1976. It was such a great song that they actually changed the name of the TV show from just "Kotter" to "Welcome Back Kotter." 

Your comments got me curious as to whether Curtis' version of Love Is All Around had ever charted at all. According to the info at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Curtis#Singles and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mary_Tyler_Moore_Show_opening_sequence#Theme_song, the original version didn't chart when it was released as a single in 1970, but then Curtis reworked it as a country song in 1980 and it reached #29 on Billboard's country chart. 

January 10, 2022 11:14 am  #6

I think I've heard that version and I'm not crazy about it. The short TV theme version is the one I really like and even have it on a few assembled "Best Of" collections I've made. Somehow the remakes just aren't the same. 

January 10, 2022 11:30 am  #7

aflem wrote:

I think I've heard that version and I'm not crazy about it. The short TV theme version is the one I really like and even have it on a few assembled "Best Of" collections I've made. Somehow the remakes just aren't the same. 

I'm not familiar with the country version, but looking at the chart info for Curtis I'm not surprised that he finally decided to do it that way. He was never able to make the Hot 100 and only a couple of his songs even made their Bubbling Under chart, whereas he had quite a few songs that made their country chart. I'm glad for him that at least he was able to have some belated success with Love Is All Around there. 

January 11, 2022 7:53 pm  #8

I had never heard Sonny Curtis' 1980 version until now.  Though I, personally, prefer the 1970 version - probably because that's the one I listened to when I watched the show and brings back fond memories.  There are few things I like about Curtis' 1980 countrified version - a little more rock-beat and a little more percussion.  Great music and Great Lady!!

January 12, 2022 10:32 am  #9

G. wrote:

gopher wrote:

being a gopher, it beats me why sonny curtis would be splashing again now 

Not being a gopher, it beats me why anyone would question a decision to interview sonny curtis within a couple weeks of the anniversary of February 2 & 3, 1959

aside that sonny had nothing to do with the crickets on dates mentioned, kinda makes sense in that he did work with buddy earlier and is a liviving reference, i now see the tv connection.  aside from his storied past, sonny was a pretty much overlooked songwriter aside from his tv hit.

January 12, 2022 4:15 pm  #10

I Fought the Law, Walk Right Back, The Straight Life, I'm a Drifter

Board footera