The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 18, 2019 1:36 am  #1

Oldies News, Obituaries, etc... post them here

I thought it would be good to have one thread dedicated to the passing of oldies acts, maybe with obituaries or stories posted here. That would hopefully curb the obituary posts under headlines of "sad news", etc.

I read on Facebook tonight that Preston Epps of Bongo Rock fame, passed on May 9th at the age of 89 or 90.

Last edited by StereoTom (June 15, 2019 8:49 pm)

Tom Diehl

May 18, 2019 8:28 am  #2

Re: Oldies News, Obituaries, etc... post them here

StereoTom wrote:

I thought it would be good to have one thread dedicated to the passing of oldies acts, maybe with obituaries or stories posted here. That would hopefully curb the obituary posts under headlines of "sad news", etc.

I read on Facebook tonight that Preston Epps of Bongo Rock fame, passed on May 9th at the age of 89 or 90.

I'm guessing they didn't play a snippet of 'Bongo Rock' at the service. I'll add one to the list...Texas Playboys singer Leon Rausch died a couple of days ago. While he wasn't an original member of Bob Wills & The Texas Playboys, Wills hired him in 1958 so he did have quite a long connection with the founders. 

June 2, 2019 3:03 am  #3

roky erickson made some of the most brilliant music i've ever heard, and was certainly one of the most creative lyrical poets of his generation. roky has died, aged 71. it's a cold night for alligators in the bog and fog.

Last edited by gopher (June 2, 2019 3:08 am)

June 6, 2019 11:17 pm  #4

OH NO!!!!!

June 13, 2019 11:25 pm  #5

As mentioned in another post, Chuck Glaser has passed.

We also lost Jim Pike, one of the original Lettermen.

Tom Diehl

June 22, 2019 5:15 pm  #6

This passing was expected, given the previous news about the severity of the stroke that Kelly Jay had suffered, but it's still sad to see. "Oh What a Feeling" has been a real staple of oldies radio here because of our Canadian content regulations, but it's such a great song that I've never tired of hearing it. 
https://www.ctvnews.ca/entertainment/kelly-jay-fordham-cancon-pioneer-and-keyboardist-for-crowbar-dies-at-77-1.4476742

June 23, 2019 11:57 am  #7

Tom Diehl

June 23, 2019 6:52 pm  #8

Well, I am a contrarian sort.  But I don't like this.  Not at all.  When we lose someone as important to our music as Dave Bartholomew,  I don't want to go down through your thread and see if he's there.  Come on, he's hugely important, and when he leaves this world, I want to come here and see a post that says "Dave Bartholomew"

June 23, 2019 8:30 pm  #9

Well, Flo, deaths are damned depressing... and they're happening a lot more frequently for the people of the era of music I love. But it makes a lot more sense to have notable passings be kept to one thread, instead of clogging up the board with one thread per passing. I truly think that's one thing that drove people away from the old board, and at least one person told me as much directly. I know it kept me from visiting as much... and the same has been for this board, with one (permanent) thread per passing. It would have possibly been different if the board were set up like the old one, where threads disappeared after 3 weeks, but... new board, and we are all still trying to adjust to it, so don't take it personally that I'm just trying to simplify the board and keep it from being cluttered with death.

Tom Diehl

June 24, 2019 10:02 am  #10

We spent the weekend for our summer Mardi Gras Krewe event in the Quarter.  Ran into many attendees of the Dr. John memorial service which was held earlier.  What a celebration of life!  Walked past Cosimo Matassa's Studio.  So much history there!  I read the article this morning of Dave Bartholomew's passing.  I;m sure there will be.another large acknowledgement of one of the great musical forces of the era.  The article is in:  theadvocate.com  I'll be able to post links soon.     

June 24, 2019 11:03 am  #11

With regards to how to deal with passings here, I'm of two minds about it ... and I've inadvertently just shown this over the past two days. After Tom had asked for this topic to be pinned, I posted about Kelly Jay's death here -- but I had already started a separate thread about his recent stroke, and how he wasn't going to recover from it. But then yesterday, I again started a separate thread about the passing of Elliot Roberts. The fact that I didn't even think about using this thread instead would indicate that my personal and default preference is to start a new thread.
As for the number of passings that we're seeing, it is indeed unfortunate, but at the same time I view posting about them as an opportunity to pay tribute to these various people -- as Neil Young just did with regards to Roberts. And often I find that it's an opportunity to learn about people that I either didn't know about at all, or hadn't known that much about.
However, I also prefer to indicate who I'm posting about in the subject line ... that's where I thought that this thread might be better than seeing subject lines like "Sad news". And while I could certainly delete threads after a certain period of time so that it would be more like the way that the old board was, I've thought that there was value in the way that this setup is allowing everything to be saved so that we can go back to see what's been previously posted about a topic. For instance, sometimes with passings, there's only limited info available at first, but then more info (such as a news article) might become available later -- and so I think it can be helpful to be able to look up what's already been posted.
The bottom line is that as things stand, we have two different ways of posting about passings here, and maybe we just keep going with this ... people can post about deaths either way, depending on their preference. But I'm open to any input that others may have about all of this. 

June 24, 2019 2:07 pm  #12

Lorne, I like the feature on this board, allowing us to "Subscribe to this topic".  If an obit is posted on this thread, I always get an email notifying me.  It may have been present on the old board, but I did not notice. Maybe I just have a little more time now to participate.  Thanks for the convenience.

June 24, 2019 2:16 pm  #13

Thanks, RobN. I appreciate you mentioning this ... as the admin, I get notified about every post here automatically, but it is a handy feature for everyone else. I like to make use of it on my local radio/tv forum, which is set up the same way as this forum.

June 24, 2019 6:12 pm  #14

One thing we don’t need to do in this thread is offend people and I FOR ONE AM OFFENDED!  Yeah, I’m one of the people who posted the subject line “Sad News.”  A search shows Jim Southern used it twice and Little Rich posted “More Sad News”  DEAL WITH IT!

And yeah, I can already hear: “We were just using an example.”  BE CREATIVE ENOUGH TO MAKE ONE UP – DON’T BE INSINSITIVE AND INSULT PEOPLE! 

In my case, it was the death of Doris Day.  Doris Day was the first singer I knew her name.  Que Sera Sera was on pop radio, I liked the song and always have even though my preference is for instrumentals rather than vocals.  I’ve seen many of her movies, her TV show and watched a documentary on her.

When I heard on TV that she had passed, I was saddened.  This is not normal for me to feel that way.  I believe you’re born, you die, it’s what you do in-between that’s important and Doris Day did a lot in between.  Maybe that sadness is why I used the subject line I did.  I’m not particularly good at coming up with them anyway, not here or in my emails but that’s what I used.  I didn’t think a subject line was important enough to cause this criticism.  GET OVER IT!

As far as this obituary thread, I’m gonna “go with the Flo”.  If they are important enough to post, they’re important enough to get their own thread but I don’t try to control other peoples actions that really don’t greatly affect me.

Lorne wrote:

... And while I could certainly delete threads after a certain period of time … 

I think that already happens.  I looked for an old thread but it was gone.  I noticed the oldest post currently shown is December 30, 2018.

I suspected with this being a free forum, storage memory might be limited.   If memory usage is the limitation, as this thread gets longer and longer, it will cause more old posts to be automatically bumped off the bottom sooner.  Just one more reason I don’t think this is a good idea but it’s not my decision.    

June 24, 2019 7:33 pm  #15

I don't really know what the answer to all of this is. One thing I can say for starters is that nothing has been automatically deleted, since I only set up this forum on December 29. And I just checked my local radio forum since it's set up the same way as this one, and it still has posts dating back to 2015 -- which is probably when it was set up in its current form. 
I've also removed the "pin" that I had set up to put this topic at the top of the board, since there are such differing views here as to whether we want to use this thread for passings or not. When a thread is used it automatically goes to the top anyway, and I think that regulars here are quite aware of this thread by now anyway.
I'm also completely fine with people either using this thread or starting a new one, and in whatever way that people prefer. Because I don't have strong feelings about all of this, I was just trying to go with what would work best for people in general ... but we obviously have very different feelings about this.
And I can understand why this is, because death is such a difficult issue in general, and because it's become a much bigger issue for a forum like this one than it used to be. When I first started visiting Ron's forum over 20 years ago, death-related postings would have been a very small percentage of overall postings. But there's just no way of avoiding the fact that they're going to be a very significant percentage of postings now no matter how they are handled, short of not allowing them at all ... and that certainly wouldn't be the answer. 
This also brings to mind the fact that people deal with death of those that they care about very differently and that this needs to be respected. I think that this principle also applies with regards to the artists that we really care about, even if we didn't personally know them. So I'd encourage everyone here to be respectful of this with each other, and I will certainly try to do the same thing myself. I hope that this helps.

June 25, 2019 12:47 am  #16

Well, people can post whatever they want, I just figured it would be easier to simplify it. If this board turns into nothing but obituaries, I'd rather resign now and have my account be deleted. I already subscribe to one obituaries forum online, I don't need to subscribe to another.

Tom Diehl

June 25, 2019 3:37 pm  #17

I think Lorne is absolutely right when he says, 
When I first started visiting Ron's forum over 20 years ago, death-related postings would have been a very small percentage of overall postings. But there's just no way of avoiding the fact that they're going to be a very significant percentage of postings now

If there is a concern about this becoming only a board for death notices, we are the ones who can make sure that doesn't happen, by participating in the board with new posts, or commenting on/adding to existing posts.  

I think having one thread for death announcements makes sense.  That's why I keep placing any new information about oldies acts still touring in my "Oldies Acts Still Performing" thread.  Based on the number of views of that thread, I think most people like having a regular topic they can check every once in a while or on a regular basis to find out any oldies news.

However, if someone feels that information regarding a certain oldies performer who has passed or is still performing warrants its own thread, I certainly would have no problem with that.

Board footera