The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 6, 2022 8:22 pm  #1

Who's Not In The Rock Hall Of Fame That Should Be? It's A Long List

Variety has an interesting article about the 50s and 60s acts that no longer even get consideration for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, simply because a younger crowd that makes these decisions will never vote for them.

But their music critic suggests that ignorance isn't bliss and lists more than 100 names that should be at least considered as "early influences."

Has the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Moved On From ’50s and ’60s Artists?

February 7, 2022 8:21 am  #2

Re: Who's Not In The Rock Hall Of Fame That Should Be? It's A Long List

A few years ago a frequent contributor to this site declared that Connie Francis s/b in the H. of F.    That she was (still is) an average singer didn't sway that individual. 

This is a great list.                   

February 7, 2022 8:50 am  #3

The subject of who should and should not be in the R&R Hall of Fame is always an interesting and controversial one.

The criteria is so non-specific that the decision process becomes very subjective. The following seems to be the most agreed-upon statement of the criteria for entry to the Hall:  "Those who have have had a significant impact and influence on the evolution, development and perpetuation of rock and roll."

From the list provided in the article, I have chosen the top five acts that I think meet that criteria.  Feel free to agree, disagree, or add your own choices. 

Dick Dale - pioneer of surf music
Chubby Checker - who was more responsible for dance styles? (dancing has always been an integral part of R&R)
Neil Sedaka - originator and influencer of the concept "singer/songwriter"
The Chantels - originators and influencers of the "girl group" sound
Ravi Shankar - huge impact on the psychedelic era of the late 60s

February 7, 2022 8:58 am  #4

a list of those in who shouldn't be might rival any other tally, i'd wager.

February 9, 2022 1:33 pm  #5

Pretty interesting.  I have a slightly different thought - why not Dick Clark and Alan Freed?

February 10, 2022 7:57 am  #6

Both Clark and Freed are in the R&R Hall of Fame.

February 12, 2022 9:47 am  #7

Eminem is nominated for the RRHOF. How is Eminem rock n roll? He's not, as are a number of other rappers already in the hall and others who aren't remotely rock n roll. Call it the Music Hall of Fame if you wish, but it's not even close to being the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame anymore.

February 12, 2022 10:17 pm  #8

February 13, 2022 5:28 am  #9

alangee wrote:

Eminem is nominated for the RRHOF. How is Eminem rock n roll? He's not, as are a number of other rappers already in the hall and others who aren't remotely rock n roll. Call it the Music Hall of Fame if you wish, but it's not even close to being the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame anymore.

i don't think the hall's awards were ever intended to be of 'rock'n'roll' fame, per se. the name was, and is, simply a marketing tool. i believe the awards exist, for as much reason as any other, to sell box sets, streams, or whatever other product by any kind of popular act or artist with enough exploitable back catalog to likely merit present commercial attention.

Last edited by gopher (February 13, 2022 5:38 am)

February 13, 2022 10:40 am  #10

The Wikipedia article on the Hall has compiled various criticisms about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame#Criticism. And for the most part, the criticisms seem justified to me. 

Board footera