The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 26, 2019 4:56 pm  #1

Stray Cats ready for a comeback

Getting back together may sound easy enough, but for decades, the Stray Cats usually sniffed at reunion talk. Or at the idea of talking at all. 
In the aftermath of the band’s initial split, in 1984, Brian Setzer hung up his Gretsch for a 12-string acoustic and tried to recast himself as a Johnny Cougar-meets-Bruce roots rocker. Drummer Slim Jim Phantom married Swedish actress and former Bond girl Britt Ekland, posed for People magazine and, eventually, delivered a chatty memoir that laid bare the friction between the Cats. Bassist Lee Rocker started a family and released more than a dozen albums of his own.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/they-became-mtv-stars-by-playing-rockabilly-now-40-years-later-the-stray-cats-are-ready-for-a-comeback/2019/05/21/1b02f8ce-7b0a-11e9-8bb7-0fc796cf2ec0_story.html

June 2, 2019 12:28 pm  #2

Re: Stray Cats ready for a comeback

I saw the Stray Cats at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz, CA in August of '82, shortly before they became well known in the US, a venue that only holds about 800. I'd been reading about them in Rolling Stone, and had bought their first UK release in the import section of our local Tower Records shop without actually have heard any of their songs. I dragged a couple of friends with me to see the show, which became, for each of us, one of the best live shows we ever saw. Their song "Rock This Town" debuted on the Billboard charts less than a month after this show.

Board footera