The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 1, 2022 5:00 pm  #1

Last Surviving Member Of The Four Tops Tells The Group's Story

His name is Duke Fakir and at 86, he's the last surviving member of the legendary Motown group. In his new book "I'll Be There, My Life With The Four Tops," he talks about their celebrated camaraderie, the hit years at Motown and, in a publicity interview with the AP, why no one thought one of their biggest hits - "I'll Be There" - would ever amount to much. 

"We never even thought of that as a single, because it was an experiment. So when Berry [Gordy] called us to his office and said, “Fellas, get your stuff together, your taxes together, because you’ve got something that’s going to be as big or bigger than ‘I Can’t Help Myself,’” I said, “When are we going to record it?” He said, “You did.”

"… We looked at each other like he lost his mind. So we never did believe it. Until it was released, and I heard it on the radio. I was in my car and I heard it. And I almost cried."

Duke Fakir details The Four Tops musical bond in new book

Last edited by aflem (March 1, 2022 5:30 pm)

March 2, 2022 8:34 pm  #2

Re: Last Surviving Member Of The Four Tops Tells The Group's Story

Growing up in Motown, I STILL refer to the Four Tops as "The Fab Four", NOT the Beatles.  Phenomenal music and great entertainers.  One of many talents for which Berry Gordy is largely responsible, despite that fact he was not well-liked by many of his talents, including his prize Band, "The Funk Brothers, because of his "shrewd business practices."
Opinion. 

Board footera