The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 27, 2019 1:48 am  #1

Meanwhile, back at the story barn...

One of the most memorable nights in my DJ career happened in Oct., 1967.  Red Foley, a long time C&W star was doing his last tour (he would pass away a year later) with a stop in Salt Lake City.  Along with Red were two new talents that were based in California, Lynn Anderson and Glen Campbell  .Lynn had just released her third single and her previous release ("If I Kiss You..") had gone Top 5 on the Country charts.  Glen's "Gentle On My Mind" had just finished it's chart run and his "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" was already on our playlist at KMOR.

Lynn led off the evening with her set of about 7 songs.  She had finished and left the stage (theater-in-the-round) and was walking up the aisle to the dressing rooms.  I knew where the performers went so I was waiting there.  I introduced myself and she suggested we take a seat because she wanted to listen to Glen.  We visited briefly until Glen hit the stage.  As soon as he started his set, Lynn was quietly singing harmony with him, and I was the only one in the audience that could hear her.  My own private stereo concert!

Glen sang his hits, threw in some great guitar work and finished up.  Then Red was on doing some of his many hits to wrap up the show.  So I ventured back to the dressing area where I ran into the local Capitol Records rep.  We were already friendly so I was invited to join him and Glen with his band at a local night club.

There was a live band performing and Glen couldn't sit still so he hopped up on the stage and asked if sit in with the boys.  They said OK and we had another 30 minutes of him singing and playing.  Following that, I was invited to join them at a local all-night coffee shop.  I was there until 5:30 AM, sitting right next to Glen and listening to all kinds of stories and gossip, along with many jokes.  One of the guys in Glen's group had been in the Hondells and Glen had been a Beach Boy for a spell so there was plenty of talk about the L.A. music scene.  I had to leave at 5:30 because I was on the air at 6.  Glen later sent me some LP's and a nice letter and of course went on to a great career.  He was great to hang out with and could tell stories with the best of 'em.

May 29, 2019 9:25 pm  #2

Re: Meanwhile, back at the story barn...

That sounds like it was an amazing night.

Tom Diehl

Board footera