The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 26, 2022 7:51 pm  #1

Rolling Stones secret shows at El Mocambo get release 45 years later

A piece of rock and roll history is finally seeing the light of day, 45 years later — The Rolling Stones are set to release full recordings from the band's secret shows at Toronto's legendary El Mocambo in 1977.
Long the stuff of music lore in the city, the new double CD, four-LP release captures the Stones' full set from the band's March 5 show, plus three bonus tracks from their set the night before. The new live album is set to be released on May 13.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rolling-stones-el-mocambo-toronto-1.6397372

March 31, 2022 10:06 am  #2

Re: Rolling Stones secret shows at El Mocambo get release 45 years later

There will be more "new" Stones material coming - the BBC is promising a four-part intimate video portrait, with previously never seen footage, of each of the Rolling Stones with new interviews (and archival material for the late Charlie Watts), as well as a new 2-hour radio special on the band in honor of their 60th anniversary. 

Not sure if we'll be able to see the TV stuff on this side of the pond, but BBC radio is generally not geoblocked, so if you're a fan, you should be able to listen to the special online after it airs later this summer. 

The Rolling Stones’ 60th anniversary to be marked with BBC docuseries of unseen footage

March 31, 2022 11:13 am  #3

Lorne wrote:

... The Rolling Stones are set to release full recordings from the band's secret shows at Toronto's legendary El Mocambo in 1977.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rolling-stones-el-mocambo-toronto-1.6397372

The topic says YOU released it
Rolling Stones secret shows at El Mocambo get release 45 years later by Lorne

March 31, 2022 1:22 pm  #4

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

... The Rolling Stones are set to release full recordings from the band's secret shows at Toronto's legendary El Mocambo in 1977.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rolling-stones-el-mocambo-toronto-1.6397372

My practice when I post articles is to generally use the headline as the subject line for my post, subject to Boardhost's 70-character limit -- which is why I removed "Legendary" in this case. It's something I decided to do years ago because of how much I post articles and also send them to people  ... it's a lot simpler for me that way. 

March 31, 2022 5:02 pm  #5

Taz wrote:

Lorne wrote:

You never know what else Lorne might have stashed in his basement. I'll bet he has the masters to one of The Beatles shows at Maple Leaf Gardens.

Last edited by Roman (March 31, 2022 5:04 pm)

March 31, 2022 7:04 pm  #6

There are a few songs from there on the Got Live If You Want It CD. Sounds interesting. I would think a small venue would be prefect for the Stones

May 6, 2022 2:41 pm  #7

Two more never before released tracks are now out from that infamous El Mo concert. 

The Rolling Stones Drop Previously Unreleased Live Versions of ‘Tumbling Dice,’ ‘Hot Stuff’

May 13, 2022 9:51 am  #8

It's been told before, but here's another version of the story about how they pulled off this super-sized secret without anyone in Toronto finding out the Stones had rolled into town.

How The Rolling Stones Set Up Their Secret Toronto Gigs Of 1977 

Board footera