The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

May 30, 2019 8:54 am  #1

I recently read an article in Rolling Stone about the 45 RPM record which is celebrating it's 70th anniversary. I realize that some bands continue to release records in that format in relatively small batches, but I was wondering if they still press 45's of today's top Billboard hits. It also got me to thinking of the first 45 I bought...actually there were two, Light My Fire by The Doors and The Letter by The Boxtops. They were on the CHUM Chart at the same time in '67, so when my mom drove me to Sam The Record Man for the first time, I snapped them up for, I think, 67 cents each. The last single I bought was No Myth by Michael Penn in 1990. Can you remember your first and last purchases?
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/45-vinyl-singles-history-806441/

May 30, 2019 2:54 pm  #2

Re: 45

My first, bought all at the same time. I think I paid 88 cents each: 
"Nothing But A Heartache"/The Flirtations
"You've Made Me So Very Happy"/Blood Sweat & Tears
"Let's Work Together"/Wilbert Harrison
"Grooviest Girl In The World"/The Fun & Games

The last was "Bette Davis Eyes"/Kim Carnes

May 30, 2019 6:49 pm  #3

My first was “I Saw Her Again” by The Mamas & The Papas.  I collect 45’s so I have no idea what the last one was, but it was an oldie!

May 30, 2019 8:43 pm  #4

The very first 45 that my Mom and I bought was for my Dad in 1953 for Father's Day.  "Vaya Con Dios" - Les Paul & Mary Ford.
The first 45's I ever got for me were "Party Doll" - Buddy Knox and "I'm Sticking With You" - Jimmy Bowen, in April of 1957 at the Post Exchange on Anderson A.F.B. on Guam.  My Dad paid out the cash.  I still have them both.
The first 45 I ever bought with my money our of my pocket was "Thinking Of You" - Jaguars.  It was a Top 20 hit in L.A. in the Fall of 1959, on the Original Sound label, home of the original "Oldies But Goodies" LP's.
My last 45's were a bag of about 50 at an estate sale.

May 30, 2019 9:09 pm  #5

my first 45 was Go Jimmy Go by Jimmy Clanton and the last was (probably) a reissue of My Bonnie or Pipeline.

June 4, 2019 9:49 pm  #6

I don't remember the first 45 I bought. When I started buying records I bought 78's-something I regret now-until they were discontinued. The first record I bought was "One Step At A Time" by Brenda Lee. The first 45 might have been "Stairway Of Love / Just Married" by Marty Robbins, because I really wanted it and it was available and the 78 wasn't. I have been buying 45's up until recently as I collect them, and don't remember what the last one was.  

June 5, 2019 1:14 am  #7

first i can recall was "puff the magic dragon" (though i seem to remember liking whatever the b-side was best. last was a hasil adkins xmas re-ish by norton, two or three years ago, i think.

in answe to your other question, yes, best selling singles are still pressed by record companies, usually only  if the artist so requests. however, this is rarely done unless the record is intended as an inclusion in a box set, a promotional novelty, or something along that line unless the artists just want to have some to sell on their website for hardcore vinyl junkies, which i've seen occasionally.

Last edited by gopher (June 5, 2019 1:20 am)

June 7, 2019 10:06 am  #8

I don't recall my first 45 purchase, but remember my first LP in late 1963 or 1964 .  It was an oldies compilation which included Marv Johnson's "You've Got What It Takes", and I think the Demensions "Over the Rainbow"  I almost bought the WLS oldies compilation instead, which may have had the "Silver Dollar Survey" in it's title.  It was a long time ago!

June 10, 2019 9:14 am  #9

The first 45 I "got" was from my pen-pal in 1965. She lived in Los Angeles and sent me the American release of "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones (the UK release of that song was two months later and had a different B-side - all described in Wikipedia). In reply, I bought my first ever 45 and sent it to her - "Any Day Now" by the Alan Price Set (he formerly of the Animals - and it is a pretty good version of the classic). 

The last 45 I bought...well I had to dig that one out. It was "And the Music Plays On/ "In my Arms Again"" by Del Shannon and I found it in a London music shop, and it has the price still on it, £4. The original was released in 1974. 

In passing, my pen-pal claimed that she was living close to Jim Morrison in 1965 and had lots of stories about him, all forgotten by me, unfortunately! Just out of interest, the second record she sent was "Whittier Blvd"/"Evil Love" by The Midniters on the short lived Chattahoochee label. Google tells me that the label's biggest success was with The Murmaids in 1963. 

That took about ten minutes to write but I spent a couple of hours researching and getting sidetracked.

Board footera