The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 27, 2022 9:49 am  #1

Why Stuart Sutcliffe May Have Been One Of The Most Important Beatles

He never made a record with them and he left the group before they hit the big time, and died way too soon. But according to this article in the New Yorker, Stuart Sutcliffe's influence on the nascent group in both England and Germany helped shape the band the Fab Four were to become. 

The story also recounts how the Beatles nearly never made that first journey to Hamburg, how they narrowly missed having a serious traffic accident on their first day there and the twists of fate that made what became legend later possible. 

A very long article, but well worth your time to discover more about the Beatle who would never be. 

The Beatle Who Got Away

March 28, 2022 9:10 am  #2

Re: Why Stuart Sutcliffe May Have Been One Of The Most Important Beatles

This story accidentally led me to a very extensive blog about the Beatles and those who played a part in their pre-fame careers. It's filled not only with anecdotes and reminiscences, but also some amazing photos of the early Fab Four - or in some cases, Five, and the people who helped them.

Here are a few I found interesting. 

The Beatles Live! (Liverpool 1962) (part one)

The Daily Howl, was a "newspaper" John Lennon created and published when he was a 15-year-old school kid. It contains a lot of sample pages from this vanity project and shows he was creative even at that early age. 

There's a lot more to see at the regularly updated blog called "There Are Places I Remember."

Last edited by aflem (March 28, 2022 9:10 am)

Board footera