The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 11, 2022 6:04 am  #1

The Inspiration For The Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" Tells Her Story

"Well, she got her daddy's car and she cruised through the hamburger stand, now." 

It's one of the most famous opening lyrics in pop music. And it turns out it's based on a real woman, at the time a young college student. Her name is Shirley England and she met the Beach Boys at her father's radio station in Utah, just before he took the T-bird away.

I love stories about what inspired songs I've been listening to for decades. I may never be able to hear this hit quite the same way again. 

“One day I went down to the station and I was driving my little Ford Falcon, not the T-bird. Word got around that the night before I had supposedly gone to the library with my friends. Instead of going to the library, we hitched up and went to a local drive-in that had some really great food and kids,” she laughed. “I got in trouble, so I didn’t get the car that day.”

That afternoon, the radio station’s gossip was that daddy’s little girl was grounded. According to Shirley, that’s where the band got their inspiration for ‘Fun, fun fun.’

Salt Lake City woman inspired famous Beach Boys song

April 11, 2022 6:37 am  #2

Re: The Inspiration For The Beach Boys "Fun Fun Fun" Tells Her Story

Thanks aflem, I too love songs that have cool stories behind them.

April 11, 2022 9:37 pm  #3

Ahhh, talking about the good old days in Salt Lake City.  I spent a few months at KNAK in 1970, but most of my time in the town was at KMOR (also a few months each at KSOP and KRSP, both AM's and C&W formats) from 1965 to 1968.  At the time, the owners of KNAK also owned KVEL in Vernal, UT and KSUB in Cedar City, UT.  In 1971, they added another AM to their roster, KEVA in Evanston, WY., about 70 miles east of SLC on I-80.  Knowing I was around, they offered me the G.M./on-air opening, which I took.  Shirley's brother Ron was the company's "First Phone engineer" so he dropped in a few times while I was there.
I did see the Boys while I was there, at both locales mentioned in the story, the Terrace Ballroom and the Lagoon Amusement Park.  When I was there, it was a twice a year stop for them.  The story also mentioned KNAK's Bill Hesterman, who was the Program Director of the station.  I heard some great gossip about him through the grapevine which shall stay locked away! 

April 11, 2022 10:18 pm  #4

Sounds like you had Fun Fun Fun!

April 12, 2022 3:03 pm  #5

Great story aflem.  As memphis boy commented, puts not only a renewed interest in the old songs, but puts an entirely different perspective on them.  Glad it was "resurrected" from the annals of rock history.  I greatly appreciate those stories.

April 12, 2022 6:12 pm  #6

I love these odd origin stories, as noted, and if you'd like to see more of them, American Songwriter has a special section on its website called "Behind The Song."

Among the latest entries: "Black Betty" by Ram Jam, "Dancing Queen" by ABBA, "Respect" by Aretha Franklin, and Elton John's "Daniel."

They're not as detailed or as interesting as the Beach Boys story, but you can still learn a fair bit you likely never realized about certain songs you've heard all your life. For example, did you know "Black Betty" may not be about a woman? 

American Songwriter Behind The Song

Board footera