The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 29, 2022 9:44 am  #1

Message from Ronnie Allen

As many of you know, Ronnie was a regular contributor on the previous oldies board, but hasn't been able to contribute here very much because of a massive stroke that he had in 2018. So it was very nice to hear from him yesterday, and although his message wasn't oldies-related I thought that it might be of interest to some of you who would know him but aren't on his mailing list. Here's his message. 

Dear Everyone,
A few years ago, being a computer programmer and a big fan of a popular TV game show called "Lingo", I wrote a program that allowed me to play their game for fun as often as I wished. I had no idea that years later a kind-of-rewrite version (thanks to guru Josh Wardle) would become an incredible sensation on the Internet.  Because of major health issues, I decided to simply modify my "Lingo" app and rename it Rordle. Typing strictly with my left hand (and I used to be a righty!), this effort took me more than two months.  I now use my creation to practice for the "real" one-per-day game which has been keeping me up at midnight.  I have decided to share this wIth my Facebook friends and followers and mailing list participants, in particular those who love to Wordle. My app uses the same colors as those in the "real" game and has the same rules: six five-letter guesses to deduce a secret five-letter word chosen by the "real" game.
My app can be played at any time as often as wished. And, during a single session, you can try to solve one word, two words, five words or as many as you like. I've also added sound effects and some appropriate oldies music that is heard when you succeed or (horrors!) fail.
I know ..... "practice makes perfect ..... but that has not quite applied in my case. (LIGHT, SIGHT, FIGHT, and MIGHT were part of my loser's NIGHTmare from a few weeks back!) ..... nevertheless I HAVE  improved. And hopefully, you will too if you love the game.
Please try it out. I'd love your feedback. 
Here is the link:
https://jerseygirlssing.com/Rordle.htm
Ronnie

April 29, 2022 7:49 pm  #2

Re: Message from Ronnie Allen

Good to hear from Ronnie again and please send him best regards. Hopefully one day he'll be behind the interview mic again.

April 30, 2022 9:43 am  #3

Re: Message from Ronnie Allen

Unfortunately, Ronnie has said that the stroke affected his voice so much that he has retired from doing interviews, but I would certainly love to see him do one again if he ever felt up to doing this. But I'm also glad to see that he's able to take on a very different kind of project like this, and to do so successfully despite his physical challenges. 

Board footera