The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2019 5:49 pm  #1

Tompall and the Glazer Brothers

Just saw where Chuck Glazer passed away Monday 6/10. The last of the Glazer Bros. Tompall, Jim, and Chuck. A lot of you won't know them. They were more country. But they were the backup singers for Marty Robbins and the sound of "El Paso".

June 12, 2019 8:46 pm  #2

Re: Tompall and the Glazer Brothers

I thought it was "Glaser", but could be wrong.  One of my favorites, and one that gets some play at our karaoke shows is "Put Another Log On The Fire"... quite likely the ultimate "male chauvinist pig" song.. but a fun song nonetheless.

June 13, 2019 7:58 am  #3

Possibly some confusion of similar names?  Wasn’t it Tom Glazer did On Top Of Spaghetti?

June 13, 2019 9:55 am  #4

Tompall and the Glaser Brothers had a long and interesting career in Country Music.  Backing up Marty Robbins on "El Paso", early members of the "outlaw movement", had their own studio in Nashville and logged 17 hits in the C&W Top 40.  I get a kick out of mentioning the group to folks who have no idea who they are, but then mention "Put Another Log On The Fire" and get an immediate "Oh yeah" of recognition.  Their harmonizing was right up there next to the Everly Brothers for it's quality.  Their biggest hit was a Kris Kristofferson song "Loving Her Was Easier (Than Anything I'll Ever Do Again)" which hit #2 on the C&W chart in June of '81.  That song also happens to be my favorite karaoke song because of the harmonizing that's part of it.  R.I.P. Chuck Glaser.  Thanks for great music and memories.

June 14, 2019 1:07 am  #5

What a story.  Chuck really did outlive the others?  What's to say about them - they were obviously the best harmony singers anyone ever heard.  Period.  They accomplished so much, individually and collectively, that should land them in the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Oh, and not "up there next to the Everly Brothers," sure the #1.  WAY BETTER THAN THE EVERLY BROTHERS.  Best harmony ever.

Last edited by Flo (June 14, 2019 3:01 am)

June 15, 2019 8:21 am  #6

Sorry about the typo on the name. I have to agree with Flo. I never heard better harmony. The Everly Bros. were very good, but the Glasers brought harmony to a whole new level. Why they are not in the Hall of Fame I don't know. They should have been there when they were all alive. I cherish the times my late brother and I would listen to them on The Grand Ole Opry on WSM while riding around not caring which way we went. Thanks for the memories.

Board footera