The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 10, 2022 4:23 pm  #1

An Oldies Compilation With Well Known Artists - & Almost No Hits

What if they released a triple CD featuring a ton of L.A.-based oldies and well-known artists - and almost all of the songs were either B-sides or tunes you've never heard of before? Well, someone did it. This latest 90 song compilation is called "Heroes & Villains - The Sound Of Los Angeles 1965-1968."

It features a ton of names you know - The Monkees, The Grassroots, Paul Revere & The Raiders, Sonny & Cher and many more - but almost none of their hits. Is this something you would buy, especially without having heard most of these obscure tunes?

"Heroes & Villains mostly serves up obscure acts like the Misunderstood, the Second Helping, and the Odds & Ends. Even relatively well-known one-hit wonders like the Peanut Butter Conspiracy, the Music Machine, the Seeds, the Leaves, and Strawberry Alarm Clock are represented not by the songs they’re known for but by rarely heard B-sides, demos, and album tracks."

It's an interesting concept and those were some of the best years for oldies, but I'm not sure I'd fork over the money to hear what's "B-side" the point and artists I don't really know. What an odd collection.

On The Record: ‘Heroes & Villains: The Sound of Los Angeles 1965–68

July 14, 2022 1:18 pm  #2

Re: An Oldies Compilation With Well Known Artists - & Almost No Hits

Actually, yeah... this is on my want list. Definitely looking forward to it, probably will be a Christmas present.

Tom Diehl

Board footera