The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 12, 2022 9:24 am  #1

Start Them Up: Anniversary Of 1st Ever Rolling Stones Gig In 1962

July 12th, 1962 was an ordinary day in every way but one - it marked the first time Mick Jagger and a newly christened Rolling Stones band ever performed at a paying gig. And it only happened because another artist couldn't be there.

In fact, they were so new that they still hadn't decided on a name for the band. Where did "The Rolling Stones" really come from? According to the linked article, it's not what most people think.

"According to Dave Godin, a friend from Kent, where Mick and Keith grew up, “I was there when they decided on the name, and there is no way that it came from the Muddy Waters 78 "Rolling Stone Blues." No one would be seen dead with 78s, we exclusively had 45s and 7" EPs. I had the Muddy Waters "Mississippi Blues" EP on London that includes "Mannish Boy" which has the interjection ‘Ooo I’m a rollin’ stone’.” Not everyone liked the name..."

There's also the matter of that first set list, which the article also lays out. And although it hadn't been written yet, it appears the small audience got some satisfaction from seeing this new band's debut. 

July 12, 1962: The Rolling Stones Play Their First Ever Gig

July 15, 2022 12:29 pm  #2

Re: Start Them Up: Anniversary Of 1st Ever Rolling Stones Gig In 1962

Notice Brian was going by Elmo Lewis

Board footera