The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 3, 2022 9:23 am  #1

Long Unseen Elvis Footage Shows Him At His Early Peak

I have to give credit to my local radio board for this one. It lists a new free streaming service called "Mometu" which features movies, old TV shows and a lot of never-before-seen foreign content - and none of it will cost you a dime. 

So naturally, being the cheapskate I am, I went exploring and found something very unexpected - a 1956 episode of the Milton Berle Show that took place on a navy ship. His musical guest is Elvis Presley, who was just becoming a superstar then, even as he introduces his "latest" record, "Blue Suede Shoes."

What's fascinating about the footage, which looks like it came from a kinescope so it's not that clear, is that you see Elvis in the prime of his youth - including all those leg shaking, hip pounding moves that would one day be censored on The Ed Sullivan Show. It's quite an unusual look at the future King of Rock and Roll at a time when many thought he would just be a flash-in-the-pan. History now knows better. 

And the guy playing guitar, who I think is Scotty Moore, is incredible. 

At the end of his second number, he even does a skit with Milton Berle, which shows his poise, although I never thought Berle was all that funny. 

Worth a look even if you weren't the biggest Elvis fan to see what all the screaming was about back then. Choose episode 6, and scroll to around the 16:15 mark. 

Mometu's Elvis Performance

Last edited by aflem (August 3, 2022 9:24 am)

Board footera