The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 6, 2022 12:15 pm  #1

Did This Happen With Anyone Else Other Than The Dave Cark Five?

In 1964, the Dave Clark Five rose to #37 on the charts with a song titled "Everyboby Knows".

In 1967, the Dave Clark Five reached #2 on the charts with a song titled "Everybody Knows"

Same title, different songs, by the same performer(s).

Has this situation ever occurred with any other performer(s) other than the DC5?

August 9, 2022 8:15 am  #2

Re: Did This Happen With Anyone Else Other Than The Dave Cark Five?

Just remembered that I had meant to respond to this with a situation that I had thought might qualify, but trying to find the details took me down quite a rabbit hole. 
Many years ago, I had read that there had been a Roy Orbison song titled "Pretty Woman" a couple of years before "Oh, Pretty Woman", and that this was the reason for "Oh" being added to the title.
I had long wondered about that title, since when I was young I had seen CHUM show the title as simply "Pretty Woman". So I wondered if it had been released both ways, and my searching confirmed that this was the case ... I found that in Canada and some other markets it was released as "Pretty Woman", but in the US and other markets it was released as "Oh, Pretty Woman". 
But the real challenge was to find out about the original song, since there was no point in trying to just search for "Pretty Woman" and Orbison. It took me a while, but finally I found that it was a song that he had written with Joe Melson and Ray Rush. However, it wasn't recorded by Orbison; instead, it was a very obscure 45 for Curtis Byrd and the Joe-Rag Singers.
By contrast, Orbison wrote "Oh, Pretty Woman" with Bill Dees. So from what I read, "Oh" was added to the title to distinguish between the two songs for copyright reasons, in particular because the songwriting credit is different. 
But given that it did also get released as "Pretty Woman" anyway, that means that to some extent it ended up being the same title, different song, by the same songwriter (in part). And although that's different from what was asked for here, I still thought I'd pass it along ... partly because I spent so much time figuring this out, and partly because I think that this is still pretty noteworthy. 

August 9, 2022 2:33 pm  #3

I pulled up the original "Pretty Woman", as recorded by Curtis Bryd, and listened to it.  Lyrics and beat are virtually the same, IMHO.  Both great songs.

August 9, 2022 3:25 pm  #4

I think they're both great as well, but to me they're different enough to be considered two different songs. The first one is available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPX3R-LIReU, where it states:
“Pretty Woman” was written by Roy Orbison, his regular songwriting partner Joe Melson, and Ray Rush in 1962 (check out the original copyright contract here https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/musi... ). The record was a commercial flop. Orbison and Bill Dees gutted the song, kept the title and theme, developed one of the 60s most memorable hooks, and constructed the much more dynamic and melodic “Oh! Pretty Woman"  in 1964  (https://joemelson.com/music/). 

August 9, 2022 7:01 pm  #5

It happened with the same artist twice.

The great Miles Davis did this, and as a bonus his first name was within the title both times.

"Miles Ahead" 1953 and 1957   Two different instrumentals.
"Milestones"   1947 and 1958   Two different instrumentals.

Board footera