The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 17, 2019 12:38 am  #1

Memories of the "old board".

Since we've discussed the previous board, I thought it would be the right time to bring up one of our favorite topics over the years.  There were many posts and several threads about her and since she is one of my very favorites, I'm calling our attention to Linda Scott.  Of course, she did shun the limelight several years ago and I'm not trying to track her down.  But, she contributed to several of my best memories back then and I wanted to acknowledge that. 
   I hadn't heard her first hit when I was stationed in Japan, but my Dad would pick up the KRLA (Los Angeles) hit list and send it to me now and then.  She had reached the #1 spot on their chart, so they had her picture on the survey.  Somehow I found an address for her and sent a fan letter.  A few weeks later, her response showed up.  Of course, it was a form letter, but hey, it was an answer!
   In the spring of '62, I made our base bowling team and went to Tachikawa AFB (about 25 miles from Tokyo) for the "All Air Force Japan" tournament.  One afternoon I was in the PX and found the record department.  Lo and behold, Linda's "Starlight, Starbright" LP was in the bin.  I picked it up and put it on the demo turntable and listened to it with the headphones on.  I loved it and so for the first time in my life, I paid my own money to buy an album.  Still have it and still love it.
   In the Fall of '62, I had returned Stateside and was stationed in San Angelo, TX.  I had been there a few weeks when I decided to try my luck so I went to the local Top 40 station and asked if they needed weekend help.  "Do you have any experience?" they asked.  I proudly replied "One year in AFRTS".  So they invited me to show up Sunday night and they'd give a listen.  When I arrived that night, the on-air DJ filled me in on what I needed to know and then asked what record did I want to start off with.  Luckily "Never In A Million Years" by Linda Scott was still on their playlist so she started my pro radio career that night.  (I still have that very same 45!!).
   Thanks Linda and wherever you are, you are loved and listened to.

June 17, 2019 11:21 am  #2

Re: Memories of the "old board".

On the old board and this one, always enjoy your stories Lorne!

June 17, 2019 4:23 pm  #3

Re: Memories of the "old board".

I’m so sorry, I meant to say Jim!  Another senior moment!  You both have great stories though.

Board footera