The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 11, 2022 8:45 pm  #1

Sad To Report

For anyone that knew him from the old board, my mate Jim Barnes,  or Jimbo,  as I called him for 20 years, passed away in June.   Just found out yesterday.    He was compiler of Australian chart books and had a knowledge like no one else of music of that country.     A great man with so much wit and joy of life.   Will be sorely missed by his friends.
Go easy mate !

September 11, 2022 9:19 pm  #2

Re: Sad To Report

Just thinking,  not % 100 sure,  but in those days he may have posted as coodercat. 

September 11, 2022 10:19 pm  #3

Yes, Jim did indeed post as coodercat. I still have the listings that we put together on the old board of names, locations, and year of birth; he was born in 1942, and so he would have been around 80. I just did a search and found a note about his passing from the co-author of his books, at https://www.top40book.com.au/. My recollection is that he made some very good and helpful contributions to the old board, and that's certainly not surprising given all his expertise. My condolences on the loss of your friend, and thanks very much for paying tribute to him here.

September 12, 2022 9:12 am  #4

I just heard it from another poster yesterday. Very sad. I got to visit him once on one of my flights to SYD. We spent the day together and I got to see his incredible music collection in his "music room." Great memories.

September 12, 2022 9:13 am  #5

I'm trying to find my photos I made of that trip.

Board footera