The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 2, 2022 3:28 pm  #1

Another mysterious song sung in Czech

https://vocaroo.com/1gHc1EojiH1J

This Czech version is from 1971. Do any of you know who originally sang this song in English?
The session log listed Webb as the author of the music. Would Jimmy Webb? But of course it doesn't have to be right.
The session log also mentions the possibly garbled English title "Time To Love Together". But maybe those words are
in the lyrics of the song.

If Jimmy Webb was the author, the original performer would most likely be an American performer.
Or does the musical style rather indicate that it is European pop?

Last edited by mroldies (October 2, 2022 3:29 pm)

October 9, 2022 10:11 am  #2

Re: Another mysterious song sung in Czech

I got a tip that it might originally be a Cliff Richard's song.
I can imagine Cliff Richard singing it in English. But which of his songs could it be? I haven't found it yet.

October 9, 2022 10:37 pm  #3

If it is a Cliff Richard song, there's a good chance that most people here wouldn't recognize it because of how he was much less successful in North America than he was in the UK -- until he finally had some modest success beginning with Devil Woman in 1976. He did have more hits here in Toronto on CHUM in the early 1960s than he did in the US, but even those hits had completely dried up for him by early 1965.

October 10, 2022 6:38 am  #4

Lorne, I understand. Cliff Richard just wasn't America's cup of tea.
And I keep thinking - the hell, who did the Czech singer take that song from? It's probably some forgotten B-side of a single or an album track.

October 10, 2022 8:14 am  #5

Yes, I figured you'd know about how Richard did on the US charts, but it's interesting how different the situation here was for a while. Thirteen of his songs made the CHUM Chart from early 1962 to 1965, and he reached #1 with Summer Holiday/Dancing Shoes and It's All In The Game. There are also other examples of British artists doing better here than in the US prior to the British Invasion, I think because we had a much higher percentage of people here who were from the UK than US cities did. 

October 10, 2022 10:42 am  #6

Thanks Lorne for reminding everyone. This may surprise you, but I have "The CHUM Chart Book 1957-1986" by Ron Hall in my library. I sometimes use it to compare to Billboard and the Australian charts.
Also of interest is "Vancouver's Charted Songs 1956-1978" by Brian Tarling.

Last edited by mroldies (October 10, 2022 10:43 am)

October 10, 2022 11:35 am  #7

Yes, I wasn't expecting that you would have The CHUM Chart Book ... that's very impressive.
Regarding Richard, it's also interesting to me that he had been doing quite well on the charts here right up until the British Invasion -- but even though CHUM kept playing his records afterwards until March 1965, they weren't charting as well as before and so I can see why CHUM eventually stopped playing him. I presume that he just didn't fit in musically with what was happening here, in the same way that he didn't in the US, and I think that the British influence here that had helped him before was starting to lessen as well.

October 11, 2022 9:40 am  #8

Getting back to the song itself, I gave it another listen today and I still can't come up with anything. The chorus does have a familiar sound to me, but it may just be reminding me of one or more other songs rather than the one that you're looking for. However, that did get me thinking about your question at the end. It does sound like the kind of music that was popular here around the same time, so I think it could well be either North American or British in origin. 
One other thing that crossed my mind is that if I do know the original, I might be able to bring it more easily to mind if the vocal (which is very well sung) wasn't on it ... I wonder if it could be getting in the way of me figuring it out. Just thought I'd mention that in case you knew of an instrumental version of this song that you could post.

October 11, 2022 5:56 pm  #9

I separated the music from the vocals, here it is:
https://vocaroo.com/1cWqubmUNKSc

October 11, 2022 8:19 pm  #10

Thanks. Ironically, earlier today before you posted the instrumental version, I finally figured out that it was reminding me a bit of Harry Belafonte's 1955 song Matilda. But that isn't it, and although it was great to hear the instrumental version it isn't bringing anything else to mind so far. 

Board footera