The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 7, 2022 10:10 am  #1

20 One Hit Wonders From The 70s. Where Are They Now?

An interesting and fun little piece about some long lost one hit wonder groups who made a solo appearance on the charts in the 70s, seemingly never to be heard from again. There are a few tidbits that stood out to me, if you believe everything you read.

-Jim Peterik, the guy who sang on The Ides of March's solo smash "Vehicle," later founded Survivor and co-wrote their one hit classic, "Eye of the Tiger." Does that make him a two hit one hit wonder?

-Not sure how I missed this, but Paul Carrack, who fronted "How Long" for Ace, was also the lead vocalist on "The Living Years" by Mike and the Mechanics. Now that I think of it, I can hear in my mind's ear that it's the same voice.  

-Felix Pappalardi, the bass player for Mountain on "Mississippi Queen," was later shot and killed by his wife. 

-And I admit having a little trouble believing this one - They say Terry Jacks' "Seasons in the Sun" was originally intended for the Beach Boys. Somehow, I can't quite hear that, no matter how hard I try. (They say Jacks had no other hits as a solo artist, but in Canada, he made the charts numerous times.) 

20 One Hit Wonders From The 70s. Where Are They Now?

October 7, 2022 1:40 pm  #2

Re: 20 One Hit Wonders From The 70s. Where Are They Now?

Here's some further info on the Beach Boys and Seasons In The Sun, from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasons_in_the_Sun#Recording:
"According to Jacks, the Beach Boys asked him to be their producer during the sessions for the band's album Surf's Up. On July 31, 1970 they attempted a rendition of the "Seasons in the Sun", but the session went badly, and the track was never finished. Afterwards, Mike Love told an interviewer: "We did record a version [of 'Seasons'] but it was so wimpy we had to throw it out. ... It was just the wrong song for us."[4] The recording remained unreleased until the 2021 compilation Feel Flows.[5]"

The issue of defining what constitutes a one-hit wonder when an artist has had other songs that made the charts in some way can be very subjective. However, Survivor made the US top 20 a total of seven times, and that's what the article went with as its cut-off. They even almost reached #1 again with one of them, Burning Heart, which peaked at #2.

October 7, 2022 3:14 pm  #3

Re: 20 One Hit Wonders From The 70s. Where Are They Now?

Further proof that there's almost nothing you can't find on YouTube. And this definitely is not Beach Boys material.

Board footera