The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 28, 2022 7:34 pm  #1

​R&R pianists

The passing of Jerry Lee Lewis caused me to think of R&R pianists
I couldn’t think of many
Little Richard
Huey "Piano" Smith
Does Mohair Sam qualify Charlie Rich?

As a side note, does anybody remember Korla Pandit?

October 28, 2022 8:53 pm  #2

Re: ​R&R pianists

I can truly say that I remember Korla Pandit.  My mother insisted we watch him when he was on TV back in the 1950's.  As for R&R pianists....Floyd Cramer was mostly Country, but his "On The Rebound" was a good one.  It's not his claim to fame but Elton John has to rank with the greats on the piano.  I think the same goes for Ray Charles.

October 29, 2022 5:23 am  #3

Elton John was past where I’d quit listening to pop music.  I didn’t think of Ray Charles and even after you mentioned him, I couldn’t think of a single song.  I entered his name in YouTube and Seven Spanish Angeles popped up, probably my favorite by him.

I remember Ray Charles best as the shop owner in The Blues Brothers.  When you mentioned him, an old Flip Wilson bit came to mind where Columbus has an audience with Queens Isabella (Johnson).  She gets excited when she hears Columbus is going to America to find Ray Charles.

October 29, 2022 5:57 pm  #4

What about Fats Domino?

October 29, 2022 9:27 pm  #5

mroldies wrote:

What about Fats Domino?

Didn’t think of him --- ain't that a shame?

October 30, 2022 10:39 am  #6

If you haven't watched the video of Jerry Lee, his cousin Mickey Gilley, and Charlie Rich on those three grand pianos pumping out a medley of songs, you might want to check it out. All three are gone now, but I thank God we still have their music and videos to remember them by.

October 30, 2022 4:58 pm  #7

I wouldn't exactly call Billy Joel chopped liver!

Board footera