The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2022 7:04 am  #1

Is This The Most Iconic Motown Song Of All Time?

The linked article is about how Marvin Gaye took a classic to the top of the charts and made it his own, and it's a good read. But what I found more interesting is just how many artists besides the late soul singer recorded the iconic "I Heard It Through The Grapevine."

Gladys Knight and the Pips had the first chart hit with it, and it did very well. Gaye's version was number one seemingly for weeks. And even Creedence Clearwater Revival did a version that still gets played today. Even though I'm not a fan of the tune, I can't think of another Motown song that appeared by three different artists at three separate times on the charts and all of them had hits with it. 

That's pretty remarkable, especially since the label wasn't even going to release the Gaye version as a single until it got huge reaction from spins on a Chicago FM station.

To me, the most iconic Motown tune is probably "My Girl" by the Temptations - nothing is more recognizable than those intro notes - but based on "Grapevine's" accomplishments, it's hard to argue against this being one of the label's best of all time. 

Which Motown song would you pick as the one that best defines the label?

‘I Heard It Through the Grapevine’: How Marvin Gaye Claimed A Soul Classic

Last edited by aflem (October 30, 2022 7:05 am)

October 30, 2022 10:52 am  #2

Re: Is This The Most Iconic Motown Song Of All Time?

"Grapevine" is one of my all-time faves, especially when I play it in the car.  However, I am surprised that the article did not mention one of the most memorable episodes of the song.  It was the renown ad campaign for the California Raisins that really sent it sky high.  I remember the first time I saw it on TV it almost blew me out of my chair.  For at least a year, puppets, stuffed  dolls and little miniature raisins were in stores all over the country.  I still have the LP by  the "Raisins".  It reached #60 on the Billboard chart and was a certified 'gold' winner in 1987.  Still love it!!

October 30, 2022 5:04 pm  #3

Now I know this song will never be on a list of Motown greats but whenever I hear it, the song screams Motown more than any other for me. That song is Fingertips by Stevie Wonder. It might not have the "soul" of many of the Motown greats, but when it comes to raw energy that one does it for me. And speaking of Marvin Gaye, that's him on the drums!!

October 30, 2022 9:36 pm  #4

Those raisin commercials ran for years.  Here’s a 21+ minute compilation. Enjoy.

October 31, 2022 6:56 am  #5

I would agree that "My Girl" is the most iconic Motown song.  Even though it didn't reach the upper level of the charts as often as "Grapevine", it has been recorded by more artists and is definitely the most familiar.

My two favorite Motown songs:  Ooo Baby Baby and What's Going On.

My favorite Motown performer:  Mary Wells

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (October 31, 2022 6:57 am)

November 1, 2022 5:07 am  #6

The first song I think of when I think Motown is My Girl.

Tom Diehl

November 4, 2022 2:22 am  #7

To me, Reach Out I'll Be There sums up everything  Motown is. Those impassioned vocals by Levi and one of the Hollands insisting he strain in a higher register to get even more feeling into it, 

November 4, 2022 3:01 pm  #8

In my opinion, no song is going to represent Motown.  The whole is much greater than the sum of the parts but also the fashions and movements define Motown.  I don’t like to watch singers on television.  I’ve only been to one concert in my life because my second wife wanted to see Kenny Rogers and Dottie West.  Motown groups were great on TV especially the girl groups.  At any rate, the fashions and choreography beat the hell out of half naked men busting guitars on stage.

Board footera