The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 29, 2019 11:12 pm  #1

Sound effcts on record

I couldn't figure out what to call this, but I hope I make it so others will want to contribute. 

I watched a wonderful documentary today called Record Row, was about Chicago and the great record labels there.  My favorite was always VeeJay, and they devoted a lot of time to them.  Something came up about the Shoop Shoop Song,  and a particular sound in the arrangement. It all revolved around phone books and everybody stomping on them.  Jerry Butler commenting - People kept asking how we got that bass drum sound, but it wasn't a bass drum, it was people stomping on phone books.

Takes me to another situation where I was talking to Dan Penn about Joe Simon's Nine Pound
Steel. I sure did love that record, and told him so, especially the sound effects. He said, "oh, that's just s bottle opener on a Coke bottle,:  Me:  "I wish you hadn't told me that.  He said "It was a REALLY BIG Coke bottle 

I seem to recall that a Chubby Checker record called The Fly had some sound effects created by an electric razor. 

There must be many more of these things - how did they really create those sounds?  I feel sure a bunch of you have more to add to this. 

June 30, 2019 12:24 am  #2

Re: Sound effcts on record

According to Jim Ed Brown, they used an actual can of coke to "Pop a top" on his C&W hit of the same name. 
Buddy Knox told me that for the percussion on "Party Doll", they had a cardboard box filled with cotton.

June 30, 2019 8:07 am  #3

Several years ago I was listening to a DJ interview John Sebastian of Lovin' Spoonful discussing "Summer In The City."  The middle instrumental part had the droning sound of a car.  I don't remember how they came to use it, but John said it was a Sesame Street kiddie car that was running in circles and wouldn't stop, so they kept the whirring sound in  it anyway.

Last edited by It's me Karen (June 30, 2019 8:31 am)

July 3, 2019 3:41 pm  #4

Tom Dowd, the engineer on the recording session of "Splish Splash" explained that he filled a Dixie cup with water and swished his fingers around to create the water sound at the beginning Bobby Darin's first big hit.

Board footera