The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 1, 2022 10:01 pm  #1

Why Dolly Parton Belongs In The Rock Hall

Drag queens love her.  Talk show hosts from Johnny Carson to Jimmy Kimmel adore her. Children raised on the Imagination Library thank her. Feminists know the high-gloss make-up and cotton-candy hair are all part of her insurrection. Carl Dean calls her his wife. 
Ultimately, Dolly Parton, now 76 years young, is a force of nature who can straddle being a businesswoman, tackle complicated social issues like funding COVID vaccines in a way that dials down the anger, make her acting debut opposite Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin and hold her own – and create the most sex-positive persona that’s strung across seven decades.
https://news.pollstar.com/2022/10/27/why-dolly-parton-belongs-in-the-rock-hall/

November 2, 2022 5:23 pm  #2

Re: Why Dolly Parton Belongs In The Rock Hall

My radio station (KMOR, SLC, UT) charted both of her first two singles on the Monument label ("Dumb Blond", "Something Fishy") in 1967 so when she showed up on the Porter Wagoner tour in 1968 when I was in Albany, NY, I did make it a point to go over to her and introduce myself.  She was standing all by herself on the stage and when I shook her hand, there was no hint of the star she would become.  Actually, she looked tired and I do believe it was her first tour with Porter which would tire anybody!  I do believe she's earned every bit of the fame and fortune she's attained and has handled them well..

Board footera