The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2019 8:29 pm  #1

new doc "the quiet one"

not to be confused with "george harrison: the quiet one" this film is about bill wyman and his massive collection of rolling stones artifacts. according to my cable company's pay per view service, it's "in theaters now." i just watched it, and found it to be quite in-depth, covering his entire lifetime as well as his stones collection, many examples of which are displayed and discussed. highly reccomended.

July 1, 2019 8:12 am  #2

Re: new doc "the quiet one"

Interestingly, there's a Wyman interview where he says he was mistaken for Harrison often. He mentions having a group of kids run up to him as he got out of a car wanting autographs and they were all holding Beatle albums! I have an old VHS tape, now on DVD, that's a collection of Stones videos called Video Rewind. It begins with Wyman dressed as a night security guard and he walks the hall of a museum until he comes to a particular door. He unlocks it and goes in to find a storage room of rock memorabilia. One of the items is Mick frozen in time and Wyman breaks the glass and lets him out. Yes, Bill is THE archivist of the Stones and kept very accurate records. I have a book of his called The Stones A History In Cartoons by Bill Wyman that's a collection of magazine and newspaper cartoons about the Stones from the early days on. I guess no one is perfect, I was fortunate to meet Bill a few times in the UK after one of his Rhythm Kings concerts where he did Honky Tonk Women. During the intro he said he had forgotten there were only 2 verses. Back stage I mentioned that on the Got Live album Mick sung a 3 rd verse and he didn't remember it.  But his memory is very good. The first time I met him was in Memphis when he was promoting his book Blues Odyssey. When he signed my book he asked me if anyone had ever told me I looked like Danny Kaye. A couple of YEARS later I spoke to him as he got off his bus in the UK and said you probably don't remember me but I met you in Memphis at your book signing. He immediately said Yes I said you look like Danny Kaye. I was shocked.

July 1, 2019 1:24 pm  #3

Re: new doc "the quiet one"

memphis boy wrote:

Interestingly, there's a Wyman interview where he says he was mistaken for Harrison often. He mentions having a group of kids run up to him as he got out of a car wanting autographs and they were all holding Beatle albums! I have an old VHS tape, now on DVD, that's a collection of Stones videos called Video Rewind. It begins with Wyman dressed as a night security guard and he walks the hall of a museum until he comes to a particular door. He unlocks it and goes in to find a storage room of rock memorabilia. One of the items is Mick frozen in time and Wyman breaks the glass and lets him out. Yes, Bill is THE archivist of the Stones and kept very accurate records. I have a book of his called The Stones A History In Cartoons by Bill Wyman that's a collection of magazine and newspaper cartoons about the Stones from the early days on. I guess no one is perfect, I was fortunate to meet Bill a few times in the UK after one of his Rhythm Kings concerts where he did Honky Tonk Women. During the intro he said he had forgotten there were only 2 verses. Back stage I mentioned that on the Got Live album Mick sung a 3 rd verse and he didn't remember it.  But his memory is very good. The first time I met him was in Memphis when he was promoting his book Blues Odyssey. When he signed my book he asked me if anyone had ever told me I looked like Danny Kaye. A couple of YEARS later I spoke to him as he got off his bus in the UK and said you probably don't remember me but I met you in Memphis at your book signing. He immediately said Yes I said you look like Danny Kaye. I was shocked.

Great story and way cool that he remembered you!

Board footera