The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2022 11:38 am  #1

Current songs / singers with oldies sound

I came across this song recently.  Great nostalgic sound by 21-year-old Stephen Sanchez.  Made it to number 38 on the U.S. charts last year.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxldQ9eX2wo

Does anyone have any other current songs / singers that have that oldies sound?

December 21, 2022 3:26 am  #2

Re: Current songs / singers with oldies sound

You & Me by Penny & The Quarters - Deja Vu 1950s released in 2011.  Wow - they are super!!  What shocks me is they never charted on any the Billboard charts.

Last edited by Little Rich (December 21, 2022 3:29 am)

January 12, 2023 4:52 pm  #3

I would nominate Meghan Trainer as a major current singer with a sound vaguely reminiscent of the Fifties and Sixties.  Her "All About That Bass" could inspire someone to rewrite the lyrics to "Mr. Bass Man" by Johnny Cymbal. 

January 12, 2023 5:39 pm  #4

Jim Elder wrote:

I would nominate Meghan Trainer as a major current singer with a sound vaguely reminiscent of the Fifties and Sixties.  Her "All About That Bass" could inspire someone to rewrite the lyrics to "Mr. Bass Man" by Johnny Cymbal. 

This is the Czech version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Tx5JUHg-w

January 12, 2023 11:37 pm  #5

I would also like to add that Meghan Trainor is currently in the Billboard Top Twenty with her song "Made You Look" which sounds very Sixties girl group like with the background singers singing like the background singers did in the Sixties and the music video prominently features a pink 1964 Ford Mustang convertible

January 13, 2023 11:04 am  #6

Jim Elder wrote:

I would also like to add that Meghan Trainor is currently in the Billboard Top Twenty with her song "Made You Look" which sounds very Sixties girl group like with the background singers singing like the background singers did in the Sixties and the music video prominently features a pink 1964 Ford Mustang convertible

Young people probably like it, but for my taste it's too sweet and unreal. I guess I'm too old to like a music video like that.

Board footera