The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 31, 2022 8:33 am  #1

'Charlie Brown Christmas' Soundtrack Hits #2 on Billboard Album Chart

Vince Guaraldi Trio’s evergreen soundtrack to A Charlie Brown Christmas hits a new peak on Billboard’s Top Album Sales chart, as the set rises 5-2 (on the list dated Dec. 24). That surpasses its previous high, notched just a week ago, when the album rose 7-5, beating its earlier peak of No. 6, achieved last holiday season (Dec. 18, 2021).
The companion album to the 1965 animated TV special sold 17,000 copies in the U.S. in the week ending Dec. 15 (up 24%), according to Luminate. Most of that sum (14,000) is driven by vinyl album sales. A Charlie Brown Christmas is available across more than 15 vinyl variants (most differing in the color of its vinyl LP), including versions exclusive to Barnes & Noble, Newbury Comics, independent record stores, Target, Urban Outfitters, Vinyl Me, Please and Walmart.
https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/charlie-brown-christmas-soundtrack-album-sales-chart-number-two-1235191283/

December 31, 2022 9:49 am  #2

Re: 'Charlie Brown Christmas' Soundtrack Hits #2 on Billboard Album Chart

I don't know the American music scene in detail.
At first I mistook it for this title:
Charles Brown - "Charles Brown Sings Christmas Songs"
I just got it wrong...

December 31, 2022 2:51 pm  #3

Re: 'Charlie Brown Christmas' Soundtrack Hits #2 on Billboard Album Chart

What I found surprising when I was a child was that The Coasters had done a song that was also called Charlie Brown, given that it very obviously had no connection with the Peanuts comic strip character. However, Wikipedia states that "The strip had debuted less than a decade prior and had not yet reached its peak of popularity." I'm not sure if the writers, Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, knew of the comic strip, but even if they did they might have figured that it didn't matter that they were using the same name in a very different context. It is an interesting coincidence that there was also a popular singer with a similar name, but as far as I know he was always Charles and never Charlie. 

Board footera