The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 2, 2023 4:14 pm  #1

Rolling Stone Picks Aretha Franklin As Greatest Singer Of All Time

These lists are almost guaranteed to be controversial and this one is no different. In an update from a previous "Best Of" featuring only 100 singers, Rolling Stone Magazine has now listed their 200 favorite vocal artists of all time. And the Queen of Soul comes in at the top.

Already there are detractors, with some Canadians angry that Celine Dion is nowhere to be found. 

There are other peculiarities - Bob Dylan at #15? I love his work, but let's face it, he's no Sinatra (who also makes the list at #19.)

You can start way back at #200 here or just go to the Top 20. 

January 2, 2023 7:38 pm  #2

Re: Rolling Stone Picks Aretha Franklin As Greatest Singer Of All Time

I find these type of "Best of" awards as so misleading since one must define the niche we're working with. Do y'all agree that it's like picking the greatest rock song of all time. What does that mean? Tell me if I'm wrong. Could you actually pick the greatest rock song of all time?

January 3, 2023 12:24 am  #3

Memphis boy, I feel much the same way as you about such lists. But having just looked at the top 20, I will also say that it was quite relevant to this board, given that most of the artists are from the oldies era or even before. I wasn't expecting that this would be the case, and it was quite interesting to see how well-regarded all of these singers still are so many years later. 

January 4, 2023 6:45 pm  #4

I must agree Lorne

Board footera