The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2019 11:49 am  #1

Amazing Rhythm Aces

I know there's a thread for obits, but I thought I'd make a separate one for lead vocalist Russell Smith because the Amazing Rhythm Aces were truly one of my favorite bands, although on radio they were only really known for Third Rate Romance. Here's what was posted on their Facebook site:  Almost every night with the Aces, Russell Smith sang, "my soul cries out for rest, and the end is not in sight.". It's with heavy hearts that we inform you that on Friday, July 12, 2019 those cries were finally answered and he is now resting peacefully. Russell completed his journey on life's railway after 70 years of doing things his own way. Russell's soulful voice and artfully crafted lyrics helped develop the signature Amazing Rhythm Aces sound that defined an era and ...transcended genre labels. Like their sound, Russell, himself, was a little southern, a little rock'n' roll, pinch of bluegrass gospel, and an endless supply of soul. It won't surprise his fans or friends and family that his love of music lasted through his final days; with some of his final conversations spent talking about the music he loved and certain songs shaped his life. He remarked about how ever performance, through his last encore, was filled with the magic that only live music can provide and how thankful he was for the dedicated love he received from fans across the globe.Russell lived to entertain, to help folks feel a connection with one another, and hoped to leave the world better off for having had him in it. While he undoubtedly fulfilled those hopes in his time here, he would have wanted to cement his legacy with lyrics from one of his all-time
favorite songs ("Give me flowers while I'm living"), which the Aces recorded in 1980. A reminder to tell loved ones how you feel, and to be kind to everyone while you can, because the people who need those kind words and deeds
can't receive them when they're gone.In this world is where we need our flowers
A kind word to help us get along
If you can't give me flowers while I'm living
Please don't send them when I'm gone
Won't you give me my flowers while I'm living
Let me enjoy them while I can
Please don't wait till I'm ready to be buried
And then slip some lilies in my hand.

July 15, 2019 4:29 pm  #2

Re: Amazing Rhythm Aces

July 16, 2019 11:47 am  #3

Re: Amazing Rhythm Aces

Thanks. The Amazing Rhythm Aces were probably the only band left on my 'bucket list' that I really wanted to see. I believe they only played Toronto once at the El Mo in the mid-seventies. Over the last few years they would only play a few shows yearly in the Nashville area. goph and I had talked about going there to see them and it's too bad it ain't gonna happen. 

Board footera