The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

February 9, 2023 11:18 am  #1

Burt Bacharach, visionary pop composer, has died at 94

American popular music has lost a giant. According to his publicist, Burt Bacharach died Wednesday due to natural causes at his Los Angeles home with family at his side. He was 94.
Bacharach composed an astonishing number of hit songs over the decades: "Say A Little Prayer." "Walk On By." "What The World Needs Now." "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head." That's just a handful of his music — and he won Grammys, Emmys and Oscars. Burt Bacharach's melodies are seared in the memories of generations of listeners.
https://www.npr.org/2023/02/09/561555285/burt-bacharach-obituary

February 9, 2023 5:43 pm  #2

Re: Burt Bacharach, visionary pop composer, has died at 94

WOW! A big loss!

February 10, 2023 5:00 pm  #3

In re-examing the scope of Bacharach's work, which was indeed very impressive, I came across this video which just blew me away.  It is the actual recording session for Alfie by Cilla Black, and it is truly amazing.  Cilla's voice and delivery sent a shiver down my spine.  That is Burt Bacharach conducting and playing the piano.  Interesting tidbit: the producer of the recording session was George Martin and "In an era when a handful of takes was considered sufficient, Black sang ‟Alfie” 29 times before Bacharach felt she had conjured up the ‟magic” he was seeking. Black’s producer, George Martin, was not impressed, and told Bacharach the singer had delivered the goods on the fourth take. 

One other observation about the video - so great to see how recordings were done before the age of multi-tracking.  Enjoy the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glpIgnmKrZc

February 12, 2023 3:55 pm  #4

I totally agree - Bacharach was a perfectionist beyond perfectionism - OCD.  Of the many interviews I've seen of Dionne Warwick, she, politely states that Bacharach expected her to sing some very complicated melodies (changes in the beat, rhythm, crescendo/decrescendo).  Sometimes there would be some communications issues.  Through all of this, I got the impression that she was one of the few artists who had had the patience to work with Burt.  I also got the impression that she played a key role in adding invaluable recommendations to the music as they developed and recorded each song.  No matter how you cut it, there was some "magic" when Bacharach, David & Warwick got together - they were brilliant.  Some of the best pop ever.

Last edited by Little Rich (February 12, 2023 6:32 pm)

Board footera