The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 10, 2023 11:39 pm  #1

Jerry Samuels Dies: Recorded as Napoleon XIV

Jerry Samuels, who as “Napoleon XIV” wrote and recorded one of pop music’s most unusual hit singles, 1966’s “They’re Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!,” died today (March 10, 2023). Samuels, 84, had operated a Philadelphia-based talent agency for the past four decades. News of his passing was shared by his wife, Bobbie Samuels, on her Facebook page. “My friends,” she wrote, “Jerry died early this morning. He was my rock and the greatest love of my life. He taught me to be strong.”
https://bestclassicbands.com/jerry-samuels-obituary-napoleon-xiv-3-10-23/

March 11, 2023 7:53 pm  #2

Re: Jerry Samuels Dies: Recorded as Napoleon XIV

Sad to hear this. He was a true one hit wonder and barely that - his song was pulled on many stations at the height of its popularity after doctors complained it made fun of people with mental problems. But I not only bought the 45 (with the B side featuring the song played backwards) but the LP, which I found about a year later in a record store's discard bin.

You'll note the cover indicates it has the reverse version on it, but the back of it indicates a song by "Josephine," called "I'm Happy They Took You Away, Ha-Ha." The latter was, in fact, the composition that was used, although it didn't make much sense, because Samuels always said the tune was about a guy whose dog ran away (hence the "mangy mutt" in the lyrics) and he went crazy.

The golden age of novelty tunes, which doesn't exist anymore. 

Board footera