The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

March 29, 2023 9:39 am  #1

At 87, Herb Alpert Is Still Touring - & "Blowing" Them Away

When most people would be long retired, the music mogul with a trumpet and his own record company under his belt, is still touring and still making albums. 

In this article for the Calgary Herald - one of the stops on his latest sojourn - he recalls why he started the record label "A&M," how easy it was to sign the Carpenters and the one group he never wanted anywhere near his label, who lasted about a week. 

“There is something about her voice and the whole package that touched me,” he says. “I met with them and I signed them. Done. Period. I didn’t have to ask anybody. I walked into Jerry’s office and said ‘I’m signing these two kids called the Carpenters.’ He said ‘Great!’ It was that easy. We didn’t have to clear things through a bunch of people.” 

Still, by the time the label made one of its most infamous deals – signing the Sex Pistols in 1977 – there were other cooks in the kitchen. The band was dropped a week later."

“I wanted them off,” Alpert says. “I said ‘I can’t believe they signed these guys.’ "

Six decades in, Herb Alpert says 'there is no end in sight' for his evolution as a musician

March 29, 2023 5:26 pm  #2

Re: At 87, Herb Alpert Is Still Touring - & "Blowing" Them Away

Some teenage girl used an old Alpert's song as the background music in her video - and suddenly the song is downloaded a hundred million times on the Internet.
That is probably not even possible. Today's teenagers probably have no idea how much beautiful music was created in the sixties...

March 29, 2023 6:24 pm  #3

Re: At 87, Herb Alpert Is Still Touring - & "Blowing" Them Away

I know every generation thinks their era was the best, but I honestly believe the 60s was the true golden age of modern music. The various styles - from Motown to the British Invasion to the Beatles to bubblegum and even novelty records - has, in my addled mind, never been matched. 

That's why oldies stations (at least in North America) when done right, are an incredible resource for all kinds of great hits. You never truly know what you're going to hear - it could be Elvis followed by The Hollies and then the Rolling Stones just before Mama Cass. But almost all the songs are terrific. And somehow Top 40 just worked. 

Board footera