The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2023 2:35 pm  #1

New Zombies

Well, it's certainly been a banner time lately for fans of 60's rock acts. First, came Donovan's new album Gaelia, which was released late last year. In January, Moody Blues front-man Justin Hayward released a single called 'Living For Love', which is to be followed by a new album in August. (He's also playing a dozen or so Canadian and U.S. dates in May/June). And yesterday The Zombies dropped a new album called Different Game. I gave it a spin on Spotify but I wasn't crazy about it outside of a track called 'Got To Move On', that sounds a bit like a bluesy Steely Dan with some of Rod Argent's 'She's Not There' keyboards thrown in for good measure.

Last edited by Roman (April 1, 2023 2:35 pm)

April 1, 2023 2:44 pm  #2

Re: New Zombies

If the drums didn't sound a bit "synthetic" it would really take me back many years...
How do you feel about it?

April 1, 2023 5:02 pm  #3

mroldies wrote:

If the drums didn't sound a bit "synthetic" it would really take me back many years...

Maybe the "new" drummer, Steve Rodford, doesn't have that vintage Zombies vibe. I'm not sure why original drummer Hugh Grundy is still not with them as he was there until 2019, and he's 78, which is an average age when it comes to classic rock musicians.

April 2, 2023 2:58 am  #4

Roman wrote:

mroldies wrote:

Maybe the "new" drummer, Steve Rodford, doesn't have that vintage Zombies vibe. I'm not sure why original drummer Hugh Grundy is still not with them as he was there until 2019, and he's 78, which is an average age when it comes to classic rock musicians.

I dare say that the drummer probably doesn't matter in this case. I think drum kits just have a slightly different sound today than they did in the sixties.

Board footera