The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 30, 2019 3:09 pm  #1

The Smothers Brothers mark their CBS firing 50 years ago

NEW YORK (AP) — Getting fired from work isn't usually a cause to celebrate. But the Smothers Brothers aren't your run-of-the-mill comedians.
The duo has stepped out of retirement to commemorate the day 50 years ago when CBS canceled their show over their political impudence.
https://foxsanantonio.com/news/entertainment/the-smothers-brothers-mark-their-cbs-firing-50-years-ago

July 30, 2019 8:26 pm  #2

Re: The Smothers Brothers mark their CBS firing 50 years ago

Even though I differed a bit from their political viewpoint, they were genuinely funny and easy to watch.  When I was working my first pro DJ gig in Texas in 1963, we did play album tracks and I featured the Smothers Brothers on a regular basis.  In 1966, before their TV show took off, they performed at the local music hall in Salt Lake City.  I was part of the group that welcomed them at the airport.  After the greetings were done, I started out the door.  The publicity guy for the hall stopped me and asked if I could give the Brothers a ride to their hotel.  I had a big car (1963 Pontiac) so there was plenty of room for them.  They crawled into the back seat and into town we went.  They were relaxed and friendly, trading gossip about all that was going on in the L.A.music scene.  The show that night was most enjoyable.  Their status as comedy icons is well deserved!

July 31, 2019 7:11 am  #3

If memory serves me correctly, the Smothers brothers had a sitcom as well.  I don't remember the episode or the theme of it, but do remember Tommy in an apartment and singing, "Johnny is a fink, yeah yeah yeah. Johnny is a fink.  He's a teenage ratfink Romeo." 

I never saw it again.  I've tried for years to find anything about it online to no avail.  I would love to see a clip of him singing that.

July 31, 2019 9:51 am  #4

It's me Karen wrote:

If memory serves me correctly, the Smothers brothers had a sitcom as well.  I don't remember the episode or the theme of it, but do remember Tommy in an apartment and singing, "Johnny is a fink, yeah yeah yeah. Johnny is a fink.  He's a teenage ratfink Romeo." 

I never saw it again.  I've tried for years to find anything about it online to no avail.  I would love to see a clip of him singing that.

Is this the one? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188362/

July 31, 2019 9:58 am  #5

Lorne wrote:

NEW YORK (AP) — Getting fired from work isn't usually a cause to celebrate. But the Smothers Brothers aren't your run-of-the-mill comedians.
The duo has stepped out of retirement to commemorate the day 50 years ago when CBS canceled their show over their political impudence.
https://foxsanantonio.com/news/entertainment/the-smothers-brothers-mark-their-cbs-firing-50-years-ago

I loved their show, but what I remember the most today were the incredible musical guests that they had on. The most memorable for me were the Doors doing 'Touch Me', and The Who doing' My Generation' which concluded with Keith Moon blowing up his bass drum. I also recall that the Smothers aired the live satellite broadcast of The Beatles' preview of 'All You Need Is Love'. Another Beatles connection is that Tommy Smothers took part in John and Yoko's famous bed-in in Montreal during which 'Give Peace A Chance' was recorded. 

August 1, 2019 4:50 pm  #6

Roman wrote:

It's me Karen wrote:

Is this the one? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188362/

More than likely, it is.  Trouble is, I have no idea what episode I should be looking for.

Board footera