The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 25, 2023 7:19 pm  #1

Overly Sensitive Or Essential? Tom Jones Angry About "Delilah" Ban

It's my favorite Tom Jones song and it's drawing new fire more than five decades after it first became a huge hit. "Delilah" is the story of a woman who humiliates her boyfriend by openly cheating in front of him and laughing when she's caught. In the lyrics, the singer kills her for her infidelity. 

It's definitely a story from a different era, and to some, it's no longer politically correct to croon a tune about domestic violence. Which is why one Welsh rugby team has now stopped singing the classic oldie at its games, a former tradition, infuriating Jones and prompting an angry response. 

“Can you imagine? Who was the man who didn’t want us to sing ‘Delilah’?” he asked the crowd. 

“They may stop the choir from singing it, but they haven’t stopped the crowd. Keep on singing it – and I’ll keep on singing it too.”

Overly woke or necessarily sensitive? You decide.

(Does this mean Cher's classic "Dark Lady" is also verboten?)

‘You can’t stop us’: Tom Jones finally breaks his silence on decision to ban hit song ‘Delilah’  

Last edited by aflem (July 25, 2023 7:20 pm)

July 26, 2023 6:29 pm  #2

Re: Overly Sensitive Or Essential? Tom Jones Angry About "Delilah" Ban

aflem wrote:

It's my favorite Tom Jones song and ...

I’m sure for a different reason than me.  It would probably have been 1968. I was in the Air Force, stationed at McDill AFB. I’d driven to downtown Tampa and was stopped for a traffic light.  Looking to my right, there was a strip club called The Old Fort.  There was a floor to ceiling, curved window on the front corner of the building and a girl was in the window, dancing to Delilah.  I wasn’t in a hurry for that light to change,

July 28, 2023 5:05 pm  #3

I guess a story is a story. And it doesn't change over time.
What if it was the other way around ? A man was the unfaithful and the song was sung by a female singer?
Would that also be "politically incorrect" today?

July 28, 2023 6:29 pm  #4

That's the premise of "Dark Lady" -- the singer kills the man and the "Dark Lady".

July 29, 2023 9:46 am  #5

Lorne wrote:

That's the premise of "Dark Lady" -- the singer kills the man and the "Dark Lady".

I apologize for not knowing the lyrics to the song "Dark Lady".

July 30, 2023 7:26 am  #6

It's sometimes hard to understand political correctness.  If we're going to ban a work of art (in this case, a song), shouldn't we also destroy any paintings or sculptures that deal with the same subject?  How about literature - should we ban Othelo?

And why the uproar over just domestic violence?  Why not any form of violence?  Think of the TV shows, movies, novels, etc. that would have to be banned if depiction of all violence was unacceptable

Or maybe we should realize that these works of art are not glorifying or advocating violence.  They are telling a story through their compositions or creations, as has been the case throughout history.

One last thought:  should a song be banned because there is the threat of domestic violence?  I will admit that the lytics to the Beatles "Run For Your Life" are off-putting, but does that mean the song should be banned or not played on the radio?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYDD4XBing

July 30, 2023 3:42 pm  #7

On a lighter note:

Board footera