The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2023 1:31 am  #1

Stories (A)

It was in 1966.  I was the morning DJ on the #2 station in SLC, UT.  It was announced that a well known music star was going to give a concert at a nearby nightclub.  One of my DJ teammates and I decided to go.  I was a bit suspicious since there were various acts that had a famous name but none of the actual performers.  We did get a decent table and when the band came out, it really was Bill Haley and the Comets.  They played all their hits and then took an intermission break.  My buddy and I decided to see if we could get into the dressing room area so we made our way back there.  Luckily, the guy guarding Bill's door was a listener and recognized my voice so he let us in to meet with Bill.  We spent about 10 minutes in general conversation.  Bill mentioned that he was playing all over the Western states hoping to land in Las Vegas.  All in all, it was a very pleasant visit.  I will confess that it was a bit disconcerting to see such a star in a rather small club venue when just a few years before he been in front of thousands of adoring fans.  Anyway, I was thrilled to have spent time with him and it is one of my most favorite events as the years fly by.

Last edited by Jim Southern (July 28, 2023 1:33 am)

Board footera