The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 28, 2023 7:19 am  #1

"Look Homeward Angel"

I'm doing a one-hour radio show on the hits of late October 1968. I found the song "Look Homeward Angel"
on the AC Billboard chart. by Ray Conniff & The Singers. I didn't know it before, I hear it's a beautiful tune.
And understandable lyrics for a Central European. I wonder why more singers haven't sung this pretty song
and why it hasn't been more successful in the charts. (Best Johnnie Ray, No. 36 in 1957.)
There are probably more tunes like this that didn't do better. This one, "beautifully sad," intrigued me greatly.
Maybe it's also that as I get older, I get more sensitive and sentimental...

July 28, 2023 9:13 am  #2

Re: "Look Homeward Angel"

This Facebook site may be of interest to you.

Really Obscure/Forgotten 45's-What national radio missed.

And just in case people aren't familiar with the song you referenced:

]

July 28, 2023 9:56 am  #3

When I was growing up in the 1960s (which was before I had my own radio), I mostly listened to the two stations that my mother listened to: CHUM and CFRB. That gave me a lot of exposure to what was popular on pop/rock radio via CHUM, and on what was known at the time as middle of the road (MOR) radio via CFRB. But while artists who were primarily MOR such as Conniff would occasionally cross over onto the pop charts when they did something that had wider appeal, I would characterize "Look Homeward Angel" as being very MOR and not having enough of a pop sound to do that.

July 28, 2023 1:39 pm  #4

aflem,
Thank you, unfortunately, I can't read it, I don't have a Facebook account.

Lorne,
Thank you, you wrote that very interestingly - "not having enough of a pop sound".
I wouldn't have thought of that explanation. I guess I don't have the right musical insight. 

July 28, 2023 2:11 pm  #5

You "pressed my button" mroldies:  The Monarchs cover of Look Homeward Angel in 1964 is in Little Rich's Top 25 songs of all time.  Johnny Ray may have charted 36 and The Monarchs only 47, The Monarchs, by far, had more soul in the music, with great harmony - super cover by them.  The week that they peaked on the chart, the Top 5 songs were Beatles and 15 of the Hot 100 were Beatles, so, I don't feel bad about The Monarchs only peaking at 47.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAOUrxfzG9s

Last edited by Little Rich (July 28, 2023 2:15 pm)

July 28, 2023 3:57 pm  #6

Little Rich wrote:

You "pressed my button" mroldies:  The Monarchs cover of Look Homeward Angel in 1964 is in Little Rich's Top 25 songs of all time.  Johnny Ray may have charted 36 and The Monarchs only 47, The Monarchs, by far, had more soul in the music, with great harmony - super cover by them.  The week that they peaked on the chart, the Top 5 songs were Beatles and 15 of the Hot 100 were Beatles, so, I don't feel bad about The Monarchs only peaking at 47.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAOUrxfzG9s

Little Rich, I'm glad someone has the same taste in music as me.
I also like blues, R&B and other genres…

July 28, 2023 4:51 pm  #7

As I always say at the close-out to my show every week:
"Too many great songs and not enough time..."

July 28, 2023 5:08 pm  #8

Little Rich wrote:

As I always say at the close-out to my show every week:
"Too many great songs and not enough time..."

I can subscribe to that idea.

July 28, 2023 6:59 pm  #9

Checked out The Monarchs' version, and I think that it did quite well on Billboard considering that a song like that was definitely swimming against the tide because of the British Invasion. And to my surprise, I also found that it spent 7 weeks on the CHUM Chart and reached a very respectable #28 ... I'm sure that it would have done appreciably better on the charts if it had been out a year earlier, especially since I'm sure it was a struggle to even get stations to play a song like that in 1964. 

July 29, 2023 12:49 am  #10

I've been a fan of the "Four groups" since way back when, especially those in the 1950's. 4 Tunes, 4 Preps, 4 Esquires, 4 Coins, 4 Lads, 4 Aces & 4 Voices.  As for "Look Homeward Angel", it reached #55 by the 4 Esquires in 1956 and #36 by Johnny Ray in 1957.  I would also rate "Shangri La" by the 4 Coins, #15 in 1957 as a special fave.

Board footera