The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2019 12:12 am  #1

Who was it....?

Back in March of '63, Johnny Cymbal had a Top 20 hit called "Mr. Bass Man".  I don't recall the actual bass singer on the record getting any credit.  Does anyone know who it is and did he sing with a Doo-Wop group?

August 2, 2019 1:58 am  #2

Re: Who was it....?

Ronnie Bright was the uncredited bass voice in Johnny Cymbal's "Mr. Bass Man."  Ronnie started singing in 1952 at the ripe age of 24.  He was with several groups but couldn't make it and soon became a "sessions bass voice" hiring out to artists as THE accompanying bass voice.  His first charting song was bass accompaniment in Barry Mann's "Who Put The Bomp" earning #7 on the charts.  In 1963, he was bass accompaniment for Jackie Wilson's Baby Workout, charting #5.  In 1968 he was asked to join The Coasters #2 where his talents were optimized and he stayed with them until 2009 when he retired.  Actually, the Coasters, including Ronnie Bright, toured Alaska and performed at the Petersburg Moose Club (Petersburg, Alaska - 3,000 people, cats and dogs) in or around 1998 - I was there and they were "the old Coasters" in all their glory with Ronnie belting out the bass.  I think the whole town was there that night!!  Wow!.  He passed away just a few years ago - 2015.  Ronnie left quite the legacy.

August 2, 2019 9:38 am  #3

Great info, Little Rich ... I didn't know that he had ended up with the Coasters. Looked him up on Wiki and they have a good discography of the singles that he sang on.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Bright

August 2, 2019 1:37 pm  #4

Glad you brought him up, Lorne.  His voice certainly complemented the voices of the leads in those songs.  Great booming bass voice!  Thanks again for bringing him up.

August 2, 2019 1:46 pm  #5

Jim actually deserves the credit for bringing him up. I had been aware that it was the same bass singer on Who Put The Bomp and on Mr. Bass Man, but that was about it. It was especially interesting to read about your firsthand experience, in getting to see him as part of the Coasters. Thanks for sharing.

August 2, 2019 3:55 pm  #6

Believe me Lorne, it was MY PLEASURE!

August 2, 2019 3:57 pm  #7

Thanks Jim Southern

August 3, 2019 8:22 pm  #8

Thanks for all the info and interesting reading material!!!

Board footera