The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 2, 2023 10:55 pm  #1

Stories (B)

In my days in the mid '60s in SLC, in addition to my on-air chores, I was also the music director and production director.  That meant that as long as all the commercials were ready to play and the music chart was up to date I was free to come and go as I pleased.  The local music hall promo guy knew this so whenever they booked a talent, I was always invited to the reception they had for them, either the night before they appeared or after the opening performance.  However, a few times because of the reputation of the talent, I was invited to meet them at the airport in the welcoming committee.  For instance, we gathered there to meet and visit with Jack Benny as he arrived.
  One time was a bit more involved.  After we had greeted the stars and visited with them for a few minutes, I started out the door.  Then I heard "Hey Jim, can you give the guys a lift to their hotel?".  I had a big old 1963 Pontiac, so I had plenty of room and trunk space.  They loaded in the back seat of the car and off we went.  There I was, driving with the Smothers Brothers in the back seat heading for the downtown hotel.  I heard a few stories, had a few laughs and left them right at the front door.  Keep in mind this was after they had charted their LP's but before their TV days.  I did take in their performance the following night and really enjoyed it!!

August 3, 2023 6:38 am  #2

Re: Stories (B)

Jim, during your time as a DJ (in SLC and elsewhere) did you decide which songs you were going to play, or was there a platlist determined by the program director (which in some cases was you).

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (August 4, 2023 6:08 am)

Board footera