The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 9, 2023 12:37 am  #1

Stories (C)

In '64, when I first left the USAF, I spent a few months working for a chemical company.  I got to visiting with the kid named Randy in the mail room and found out he played bass in a surf band that was fairly active in the So. Cal. area.  When he found out I had a DJ background, we became instant friends.  Soon after, I left the company and headed for Butte, MT to get back to the microphone.  After a short stint there, I returned to So. Cal. to get my FCC "First Phone".  When that was done, I landed the all-night gig on a small L.A. FM station.  One evening, I was grabbing a burger at a nearby cafe when in walked my bass playing buddy Randy and his band.  They joined me and we had a fun visit.  As I was leaving for work, they mentioned they had a gig coming and invited me to go see them play.  It turned out it was a pretty big event with some current pop music stars.  When Randy saw me in the audience, he motioned for me to get over to a backstage door where he let me in.  There I was, in the "green room" with the Dixie Cups, Jay & The Americans, Sam The Sham and the Pharaohs and The Righteous Brothers.  I just drifted around visiting with them all and mostly listening.  Following that, I rejoined the audience and watched all the stars sing their hits.   I should mention that my buddy was Randy Nauert, his band was the Challengers and they recorded several albums and released some 45's.  I managed to get their single called "Before You", one of my favorites.  I'll also mention that Randy got the producers credit for the hit song "Junk Food Junkie" and was a neighbor of Herb Alpert living in Malibu, so he must have been a factor in the L.A. music scene.

Last edited by Jim Southern (August 9, 2023 12:48 am)

Board footera