The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 28, 2023 12:05 pm  #1

This Four Seasons Box Set Is An Incredible 45-Disc Set

With apologies for outright lifting this from my local radio board, I was stunned to see that the Four Seasons have released a box set of their lifetime body of work - and it's an incredible 45 discs! I have to say I've never seen anything quite like that before and probably never will again. 

I suspect it has everything they've ever done, and probably a few recordings of Frankie Valli singing in the shower to fill up 45 discs!  
And judging by one story I read, that's not far off. The collection, called "Working Our Way Back To You: The Ultimate Collection," has 195 singles, 31 studio LPs, unreleased tracks, remixes, demos and alternate takes and even live recordings of the group in concert. It also includes some rare samples of tunes they recorded for Motown. (I had no idea The Four Seasons ever did anything for that label.) And there's even a 144-page hard cover book. 

But it won't come cheap. The estimated price of this collection is $400 U.S. I'm not sure who is buying this or exactly what's on it but it will likely take weeks to hear the whole thing. 

Frankie Valli on the Four Seasons’ Legacy and Their Massive New 45-Disc Boxed Set: ‘We Didn’t Want to Try to Sound Like Anybody Else’

Here's the track list.

August 28, 2023 12:40 pm  #2

Re: This Four Seasons Box Set Is An Incredible 45-Disc Set

I didn't know about them having been on Motown until I read about it on the internet (possibly on the previous Oldies Music Bulletin Board). The Wikipedia article about them has a good summary of this part of their history. What is most noteworthy about it is that they recorded "My Eyes Adored You" towards the end of their time there, but Motown wasn't willing to release it. However, Frankie Valli had enough belief in its potential to purchase it and he then took it to Larry Uttal, owner of Private Stock Records. Uttal decided to release it as a Frankie Valli single, which of course led to comebacks both for him and for the entire group.

August 29, 2023 7:15 am  #3

Re: This Four Seasons Box Set Is An Incredible 45-Disc Set

I'll bet there are lots of hidden gems in such a huge collection.  Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtgFm3ryd4&list=PLcnckrA4cdakR6SMDQoI7f159oSArN0J4&index=19

Board footera