The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 31, 2023 10:41 am  #1

Earth Wind & Fire lawsuit against "Legacy Reunion" group

I'm with Earth Wind & Fire on this. There's a big difference between groups using Tribute in their name, and this group calling themselves Earth Wind & Fire Legacy Reunion ... their name seems designed to get people to believe that Earth Wind & Fire members are involved.
https://www.billboard.com/business/legal/earth-wind-fire-lawsuit-tribute-band-blasts-trademark-accusations-1235403573/

September 1, 2023 12:26 pm  #2

Re: Earth Wind & Fire lawsuit against "Legacy Reunion" group

I agree with you. Lorne, that the name of this cover band seems to be trying to trick people into attending their shows.  The key word seems to be "tribute", but with three (and maybe more) EW&F cover groups already using the word "tribute" in their names, it might be getting difficult to find an appropriate moniker.

This reminded me of the situation back in the 90's when John Fogerty, working solo at that point, sued original CCR drummer Doug Clifford and original bassist Stuart Cook for performing as Credence Clearwater Revisited.  Interestingly, it wasn't that he felt they were duping fans.  He described his concerns thusly:“Using the name is sort of a sacrilege,” he told one publication.”“When the band broke up, I never had any problem not trying to abscond with the name Creedence as a solo artist,” Fogerty told another publication. “I just think that thing is from a certain time and it is untouchable, unless everybody is there. You can’t do it unless everyone says it is OK to do it.”

Last edited by GrimsbyFan (September 1, 2023 1:14 pm)

Board footera