The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2023 7:32 pm  #1

Paul McCartney Explains Origins Of His Beatles Songs In New Podcasts

So far, I've listened to several of them, put up by the author who helped ghost write McCartney's new book about the inspiration for his lyrics. My favorite so far is the one about the inspiration for Eleanor Rigby, in which Paul reveals he had originally written "Father McCartney" into the lyrics, instead of "Father Mackenzie."

It fit the music, but he worried it would reflect badly on his father and so he looked up random names in the phone book, starting at McCartney. That's how he came up with the name. 

He also explains how the movie Psycho helped inspire some of the instrumentation in the tune.  

The podcasts, which contains several parts, have ads which are pretty annoying, but it you can get through them, the stories are pretty interesting about the background of the famous music all of us know off by heart. More episodes are coming, but you can see (and listen to) the current ones here. 

Last edited by aflem (October 5, 2023 7:36 pm)

October 5, 2023 7:35 pm  #2

Re: Paul McCartney Explains Origins Of His Beatles Songs In New Podcasts

October 7, 2023 6:49 am  #3

Re: Paul McCartney Explains Origins Of His Beatles Songs In New Podcasts

I have the 2 volume book Paul McCartney The Lyrics and I was surprised that when I searched Monkberry Moon delight it wasn't there. It's a very interesting song with bizarre lyrics.

Board footera