The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 20, 2023 8:50 am  #1

Billboard Writers Choose All Time Top 500 Songs In Hot 100 History

Wow. Some of these choices are simply head shaking. But it's important to remember their picks aren't based on sales or impact, simply opinion and ephemeral categories like how catchy a tune is. That's why the song at #1 has me not only surprised, but actually stunned. There's simply no way this is the greatest song in Hot 100 history.

But I guess it could be worse - I suppose they could have chosen "The Martian Hop!" 

Billboard's All Time Top 500 Songs In Hot 100 History

Last edited by aflem (October 20, 2023 8:50 am)

October 21, 2023 3:27 am  #2

Re: Billboard Writers Choose All Time Top 500 Songs In Hot 100 History

So, after reviewing the Top 100, assuming that I would recognize most of the songs, I DIDN'T.  I started at #1, going to #100.  I only recognized 4 of the first 25 songs, maybe 7 of the artists, and stopped there.  Either I'm REAL OLD or  Billboard and the R&RHOF are very opinionated - very little objectivity.  You alluded to that in your introductory posting (opinion and ephemeral category).  What's even more interesting is I have been making an honest attempt at trying to stay on top of the weekly singles #1 song in the Billboard Top Pop singles right up until recently; maybe I've been focusing too much on the Adult Contemporary genre including Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Maroon 5, Adele & Bruno Mars as well as recent recordings by oldies artists that still have talent, including The Stones latest (Hackney Diamonds album), Dylan's one and only #1 single in the US, Murder Most Foul, released in about April 2020.  That said, I still have an interest in hard rock stars and others on the periphery.

October 21, 2023 12:17 pm  #3

It's sixty-five years of pop music history. I believe that comparing musical quality over such a long period cannot be very possible and objective.

October 21, 2023 1:28 pm  #4

Too many years of music to compare. Comparing the music of today to the music of yesterday is like comparing apples to oranges.

October 22, 2023 8:31 am  #5

I'm sorry I can't relate at all.  LOL

Board footera