The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 6, 2023 11:47 pm  #1

Board member Ronnie Allen has passed away

I was very saddened to find out today that Ronnie Allen, whose real name was Alan Kaltman, had passed away in his sleep on September 28. Ronnie was one of the top contributors to the previous Oldies Music Bulletin Board for many years, until a massive stroke in February 2018 left him partially paralyzed and limited to the use of one finger for typing on his computer keyboard. But even though it was very difficult for him, he still managed to post messages occasionally on both the former board and on this one -- and I had particularly appreciated it when he joined us here. He had a wealth of knowledge and experience relating to music, which included having been the East Coast Researcher for Casey Kasem's American Top 40 from 1972 to 1987. He will be very much missed.
https://www.lifecelebration.com/obituary/alan-kaltman

November 13, 2023 10:43 pm  #2

Re: Board member Ronnie Allen has passed away

I had waited for someone more articulate than me to post re Ronnie's passing, but none so far. I always enjoyed his posts. They were well written and interesting and he met a number of interesting performers over the years. It is sad when a long standing and knowledgable member of this board and the one managed by Ron dies. He will be remembered with affection by me

November 18, 2023 5:15 am  #3

One of the tough things about living into my "Golden Years" is the passing away of friends and all that were part of my younger days.  I remember Ronnie well from the old board, especially because of my connection to Casey Kasem.  He was a wealth of knowledge about the music and the radio and I'm glad I was lucky enough to have e-mailed him a few times.

November 18, 2023 9:53 pm  #4

My last conversation with Ronnie was a phone call from him around two years ago after a mutual friend of ours took his own life. I hate phone calls with a passion, but having never spoken to Ronnie on the phone previously, I felt it was an important call to take. How he got my cell phone number, I'll never know. After I learned of Ronnie's passing, I dug out his 45 that he made in 1961, called Flip Over You, and gave it a spin.

One thing I was told soon after finding out about Ronnie's passing was that his wife passed away just six days after he did. My deepest condolences go out to their two kids.

Tom Diehl

Board footera