The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 23, 2023 8:15 am  #1

Season's Greetings

I just thought I'd take a moment to everyone happy holidays, both holdovers from Ron's Oldies Board and "newcomers" to Lorne's Board. I tend to stick with listening to traditional Xmas artists but at this stage I've kind of worn out Bing, Dean, Burl, Andy, Nat, Connie, Elvis and Frank. I came across this review for a Bobby Vee Xmas record and streamed it on Spotify. I didn't think it was great, particularly his cover versions of classics, but I did find the original song "A Not So Merry Christmas" to be pretty good. Check it out if you're in need of some new old Christmas recordings. https://www.hipchristmas.com/artists/v/vee.php

December 23, 2023 11:43 am  #2

Re: Season's Greetings

And a very merry Christmas to you and all!  I heard "A Not So Merry Christmas" on an oldies station out of Cincinnati several years ago and was stunned..  Bobby Vee was one of my favorite artists in 1960-62. I grew up in Chicago and listened to WLS and NEVER heard any Bobby Vee Christmas songs.  "A Not So Merry" now ranks up with my favorite Christmas tunes.  I'll be loading  up the CD player this evening with Spector, Vee and the Beach Boys, as well as my other favorite compilations.

December 23, 2023 11:55 pm  #3

Reflecting on the  history of the bulletin boards: Back in the day when Ron was boss, I would be able to post the first Xmas greeting and first New Year message as NZ is of course a day ahead of the US and UK. A fellow NZer Scottie would also post and a bloke from Perth. Sounds a bit trivial on writing about it now, but it was fun. So in the spirit of Xmas I will probably post tomorrow morning. Or not!

December 24, 2023 4:13 am  #4

Merry Christmas greetings to all.  My Christmas listening is to the Tabernacle Choir for traditional carols, The Carpenters for Karen's take (I have a weakness for her soft and sweet "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"),and Mantovani.  For variety, I'll have the Phil Spector album in the car, especially to hear Bob B. Soxx sing "The Bells Of St. Mary", My belief that it is the perfect example of the "Wall Of Sound".

December 24, 2023 6:09 am  #5

"So This Is Christmas", John Lennon . The clock has just slipped past midnight and it is now Christmas Day in New Zealand. Wet, but warm and the day will be spent with family. I wish the best for all board members. Sadly my health is not good (IPF) but that can be set aside for good times wth children and by zoom with grand children. And the words if the song by Lennon are so appropriate. Rock on

December 24, 2023 1:26 pm  #6

Back in the old days, I would exchange season's greetings emails with Lorne, OldiesFan John, Smoothe Melody, and our late friend Kate Goldfield. I think Lorne was the only one to respond in the last few years so I kind of gave up the tradition after having a few glum Christmas seasons. This year has been really hard, in particular, after losing three close music friends in the span of about two months, though only Ronnie Allen would have been known around this board.

My wife has been playing a lot of Christmas music by Ronnie Milsap and also by Pentatonix recently though.

Tom Diehl

December 25, 2023 9:25 am  #7

Very good to see all the postings here. On the weekend, I heard "A Not So Merry Christmas" on Roger Ashby's annual Christmas oldies show, and I agree that Bobby Vee did a nice job on that song. And like Tom, I miss the annual greetings that he and I would exchange with the others at this time, which was an outgrowth of the chat room that used to be a part of Ron's board. But I'm glad that this board still provides a place for former regulars of that board along with newcomers to this one to stay connected, and I wish all of you a good Christmas and holiday season. 

December 26, 2023 3:32 am  #8

And thanks, Lorne, for taking the initiative to host the continuance of Ron's efforts.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Years Eve to all fellow music-lovers out there.  It's really great seeing the personal/corporate knowledge and history that all of you share with the members of this site.  It's great stuff!!

Board footera