The Oldies Music Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 27, 2023 2:19 pm  #1

Tommy Smothers passes away at age 86

Tommy Smothers and his brother Dick were very groundbreaking both in terms of their own combination of comedy and music, and with regards to the music acts that they had on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour.
https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/tommy-smothers-dead-smothers-brothers-1235565410/

December 27, 2023 9:38 pm  #2

Re: Tommy Smothers passes away at age 86

Back in 1966, the local music hall in Salt Lake City was bringing in many of the major recording stars of the day, and a few times I was invited out to be in a "welcoming committee" at the airport when they arrived.  One notable arrival was Jack Benny but the most memorable for me was the Smothers Brothers.  After the usual greeting and the Q&A session, I started for the door to leave.  Then I heard "Hey Jim, could you give the brothers a ride to their hotel"?  As luck would have it, I was driving a big wide-body '63 Pontiac with plenty of room so I agreed.  So it happened that I drove them to their hotel, them in the back seat with their road manager, me listening in on their conversation.  We got to the hotel and they got out, thanked me and headed in to the lobby.  The next night I saw their show and really enjoyed it.  This was before their TV show days, so it wasn't too political.  That remains one of my most cherished memories.  Thanks Tommy for all the laughs and songs.  R.I.P.

Board footera